P.A system sounds

OK, I’ve had an idea floating around in my head for a while but I kept forgetting to post it up here. Actually its a pretty bad idea. I was thinking it would be cool to add some effects to a PA system. Here are some that I thought of;

Screeching tires (like brakes locking up)
Gun shot (like 5 shots from a handgun)

I know they have ice cream sounds and stuff, but I haven’t seen them on the 100w pa’s. Anyways, can anyone else think of some cool sounds?

lol thats great i have the handgun lol just awesome!

thats probably the most awsome idea ever

Yeah I know. Believe it or not I’m pretty responsible. Yah those sounds could easily get someone killed.

Cool How’d you do it? Just stick a mp3 or ur phone up to the mic? or is it wired into the pa?

Lol thanks. I wasn’t sure if it was too original.

i stick my phone to the mic and is fuc*** loud lol i love it you see people watching like wtf was that lol

I would expect gun shots or other loud sound effects to sound too fake or high pitched on the PA but maybe sirens, bells, etc. would come out ok. Which brings up a similar idea that I ran into some trouble with:

A while back I purchased a small siren / PA combo. I didn’t plan to use it for the PA or the siren. I wanted to replace the beeper which makes a faint chirp when I arm / disarm the factory alarm. The damn factory chirp is so soft that it is hard to hear it in most parking lots. This big huge truck with a train horn and lots of custom stuff has this wimpy chirp for the alarm confirmation. No way.

So I hooked up the PA / siren combo thing and tried it out. I had hoped to record some custom sound effects from the Wile E. cartoons, or maybe the sound of an air wrench tightening lug nuts, or maybe a short custom tone that was unique. I noticed a few problems:

• the built-in sound effects just weren’t good enough for my alarm chirp, most of them were too long or too obnoxious

• when recording sounds from my phone, PC, radio, CD, or even a direct AUX line connection they always played back kind of scratchy or tinny, like they are being played back on a tin can speaker

• when I turned up the playback volume loud enough to make the sound effects play at the desired level, there was always a noticeable hiss or hum in the background while the noise was playing, followed by a slight click or pop when the audio cut on and off

After a few weeks of messing with it I scrapped the project and have the PA / siren gizmo sitting on the shelf. Next I tried replacing the factory chirp device with other similar bells, buzzers, whistles, etc. The problem hear was the factory device used a very small amount of current for a very brief duration, which is why the tone was so lame, and this just wasn’t enough to drive the replacement sound gadgets directly.

So I gave up and have been wondering about alternatives ever since. Any ideas from this PA crowd?

Might be long enough to power a standard relay with which you could run a high current line to whatever you want. You can also purchase latching relays which stay activated for a set amount of time after being triggered.

http://www.horntones.com/

lolol i want one

damn thats expensive 299 :frowning:

and then its $1 per track u buy …

I considered using a relay but it would need to have a timer circuit added to keep the relay engaged for a preset time. I can build a cheap timer circuit easily enough but then the “on time” would need to be changed every time I change the sound effect or use a different recorded sound so it would be a pain to adjust the timer every time.

The electric horn / PA / siren unit that I have works essentially the same as the $299 gizmo posted above. You can record your own sounds to it from a microphone, PC, radio, MP3 player, PDA, cell phone, etc. and just about any song or sound will work. The trouble is that the sound quality is pretty low and you get the hiss and/or popping when it plays or switches on / off.

So what I really need is a high quality buzzer or siren with a unique tone, something manly and loud, but with a built-in relay so that you just trip the trigger circuit briefly with a low current and the entire sound effect plays once then shuts off. Radio Shack makes a buzzer for exactly this purpose but it is not very loud and the sound is not what I want.

If you want a cheaper version of the $299 gizmo above then check this junk out. All sorts of sounds, tones, music, and even a recording option for less than $70. They also sell “train horns” but their stuff is mostly junk - nothing to compare with HB!

im not sure where it was but i thought i saw one somewhere…maybe summit racing? that had one with recorable sound to add your own effects

thats right is better to get a pa system… cheaper and more fun!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLO-345/

cant add anything to it but i think you have enouhg of a variety of effects :slight_smile:

OR!!

http://www.cogapa.com/car_horns_songsnsounds.htm

if thats not enough effects for you then i think youre almost SOL

That’s basically what a latching relay is.

Yes, I know, but most latching relays only toggle when a manual action is taken, when a special sensor trips them, or after a preset timer duration. I need to be able to adjust the timer duration and even then I would have to change it every time I use a different sound effect. I have already designed the circuit for a simple adjustable timer relay and I may go that route but I will have to live with a fixed sound effect or at least change the timer duration every time I change sounds.

don’t buy that **** dude thats only 15watt (not loud) lol get some whelen 100watt (very loud)