Pressure Switch Location? ? ?

Hi Guys, This is my first post and I am gathering everything I need for a air horn install. My question is does the location of the pressure switch make a difference. I am using a festo 1/2gal air tank that only as two ports. What I am planning on doing is putting a manifold on one side that has about 8 ports, looks basically like a stop sign. I want to know if I mount my pressure switch and my safety switch along with all the other tubing fittings on the manifold will everything work properly? Is that ok to do? My other concern is the draining of the water but I believe that I can achieve that by mounting my tank properly so the bleeder valve is the lowest port on the manifold. Maybe this is a silly question but I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. THANKS!:confused:

Welcome to the forum. What horns are you installing?

For the most part it doesn’t matter. You can keep adding tees or a manifold with lots-o-ports. A couple rules of thumb are to keep the pressure switch as high/dry as possible, and you normally wouldn’t want the pressure switch and the compressor to share the same port. The compressor pulses can fool the pressure switch and cause problems.

You have the right idea though. Figure out how to get water out & use a safety valve. It’s always nice to have a gauge too.

I am using Hadley dual Bully horn. I just need to get a solenoid for that. I may end up using that manifold to branch off and up out of the way that way there are no ill effects on my electrical equip. What are people running these horns at typically? I was probably going to run it around 110-115 I can’t seem to find a recommended pressure on their website. Also I am thinking of going for the Viair 90-120 pressure switch with sealed relay built in. Is this a good move or do I want them separate in case the relay has an issue? Thanks again!

Any tips from anyone would be much appreciated!

When you say mount them on the manifold, what exactly do you mean?

The pressure switch can be mounted on the tank anywhere but on the bottom so that moisture does not get into it. Same with the safety valve. Make sure you have a drain cock on the bottom to drain the tank regularly.

We run the majority of our horns no more than 150 PSI with our completely sealed pressure switch that is 150 PSI cut off. This has a built in relay that makes for simple wiring.

Let me see if I can show you the manifold I’m talking about. . . .

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4730-3-Way-Splitter-Manifold/dp/B0062PBJSY/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1365096810&sr=1-5&keywords=air+manifold

This is a six port, mine is an eight.

Here is the Festo air tank I am using. . .

http://www.festo.com/cat/en-us_us/products_CRVZS_VZS

So the tank only has two ports - one on each end.

The manifold would go on the opposite side to the compressor inlet. From there all of my things would brand off of that. I can make it so that the pressure switch is not going to puddle with water.

All of the air supply will be equally pressurized. You should be ok.

Angie - Thanks for your reply I appreciate it. I was thinking that myself but definitely wanted to get the opinion of the pros. But it was good to hear from ear2ear about the placement of having the pressure switch at the intake.

Welcome, the main issue is to have the pressure switch port down so moisture doesn’t collect inside.

If I am going to run a gallon tank how long will i be able to blast the horn… . roughly? Is there some place that I can see the recommended pressure for the horns i bought? (Hadley Double Bullies)

From what I have read they are “called” a 150 psi horn, but usually sold with 110-135 psi pressure switch.

No clue on honk time except that they’re always sold with the milk jug air tanks. Honk time must not be toooo bad for a gallon.

It depends on how air hungry the horns are. I’m not personally familiar with those. You could always check the hornwhistleboard.com

i run my safety valve on the bottom of my tank as drain vlave 0 issues so far its how 99% of trucks air set ups here are set up

i quickly run out of ports i still ahve to run a street t to make sure i had enough ports.

I’ve ran air systems for the last 16 years on air bag suspension. Along with all of my buddies. Drain cock on the bottom, run a T if you need an extra port for the safety valve. You’re lucky that you haven’t had any issues that’s for sure. that’s the number 1 reason those safety valves go bad. Let us know if/when you need to replace one we got ya! :smiley:

Yea mate. Was kinda worried about it but my compressors are only on when car is on and I have a glow shift gauge in cab.

Also I removed those rubber mounts from my compressor and they are mounted in a gal tool box in the back. So unless I’m 0 attention and have multiable failures I should be able to catch a failing drain valve.

Hb has a great range of stuff but with out being rude your postge prices are outrageous to Australia. To get a single relief valve delivered $6.95 worth postage was $41.25 for the cheapest option. Meaning a new valve would be a Close enough to $50 us.
I wanted to buy alot of smaller hard to get items from you guys a while ago that would of all fited In a shoe box but postage was $150. I know over there u can buy prepaid international boxes it may be worth looking at them or looking at other postal services.

I definitely understand the shipping rates. We make absolutely no profit off the shipping. We are looking into other options for international shipments. Right now the best pricing we have been able to come up with is UPS.

Yea mate I understand I think there is also some drammas with you calculator. I was looking at a gauge with xxx delivery added a small item like a safety valve which could if been added in the same box yet delivery rose $20+

I like the sound of that! :wink:
Keep us posted… no pun intended.

Yea me 2. USPS seem to have flat rate boxes at a decent rate.
https://www.usps.com/send/priority-mail-international-flat.htm

Even an option to repack to save on postage. I’m keen on a manual valve and some 1/4" valves.

How does amazon send so cheap? I’ve seen your products sold on there. But some items are sold through amazon.

Amazon has a standard international shipping rate that sometimes needs to be adjusted by us manually. If you want to give me a call, email or PM me with your postal code and what exactly you’re looking for, I can get you the best price possible (coughplustheforumdiscountcough). Shipping goes by weight so that may have been what the jump was.