School me on my options to upgrade air line size

Hey all - been lurking for a while, but tonight I make it official! This has been a great resource.

I’ve got a Grover 1510 powered by a Viair 20003 1.5 gallon tank/compressor combo by 1/4" line. It’s okay, but not magnificent. I’ve been reading that the weak point here is likely the 1/4 line.

So - I’d like to upgrade to either 3/8" or 1/2", having read success stories from both. Would one be better than the other? I was worried about the relatively small inlet on the horn itself, but have learned that the line itself is much more important than the fittings. That said, it would probably make sense to spend another 25 bucks on a new solenoid that’s the same diameter as the line.

Seems like 1/2" couldn’t help but be even better than 3/8", but I’ve got two concerns. The first is that the tank has a 1/2" NPT port for a 3/8" inside diameter line - that would probably be okay, right? Also, my wee little tank is only 1.5 gallons - would 1/2" give me laughably short time? I was wondering if adding an inline pressure regulator could mitigate that since the tank fills to 120 psi but I know the horn doesn’t necessarily need that much pressure. Last question - the 1/4 fittings I’m using now are PTC (push to connect), which is wonderfully simple - am I OK to stick with PTC fittings when I go bigger?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! Many thanks for your help - I’ve long appreciated your expertise.

alrighty Welcome to the Forums! 1/2 inch would be the way to go, but, might wanna up the size of the air tank, that Grover is going to be sounding sharp and loud! almost as loud as shockers. I have 2 grovers a 1045 and 1042, I simply bought the “Hornblasters shocker 1/2 inch upgrade valve kit” and some 1/4 air line Push to connect to 1/8. When hooked up like this they sounded amazing! Only other concern is the Pressure you run your system at, I would keep the PSI between 90 and 120 PSI to avoid damage to the diaphragms. Hope this helps!

Thanks, repeatman! Yeah, I’m really looking forward to the upgrade.

Hmm, so I’m really still torn…I know 1/2" will sound better but I’m not crazy about shelling out for a new tank/compressor right now - would it even be worth it to go 1/2" if I keep the 1.5 gallon at least for now?

Man, so I think the fitting that goes into the horn itself is 1/8 NPT…man, I’m striking out finding an 1/8 NPT to 1/2" PTC!!