Shocker install

Brand new to the forum and to train horns. I just received the hornblasters conductor’s special 544 and was looking at where I could install the horns. I’ve seen the majority installed under their truck’s but I do a bit of offroading so I’m not too comfy with that. Has anyone installed their horns on the underside of a tool box or in the bed? Did it still sound loud as hell?

Welcome to the forum.
I can help with air compressors, mostly ours, but I know very little about horns & installation.

The horns them self’s are very strong you can mount them underneath your truck or up in the grille or like you said up in the bed. either of the places will work its just your personal preference. But make sure when your mounting that they are pointed down on some sort of an angle so if water gets in it will run out.If you decide to mount them under your truck point them backwards so the bell is facing your rear bumper so if your driving water and dirt won’t get up into it. Yes they are very loud mounting them in the bed wont affect the dbs too bad, I have mine pointed downward and pointed left and right in the grille and they sound like a freight train lol. My fire truck horn is mounted up in the frame rail pointed backwards and my 230s kleinns where mounted up next to my transmission. I had all of these mounted in a ford ranger with non of these affecting my clearance or sticking down below stock parts. What kind of truck do you have you could mount them up under the bed or in the fender well. Or you could do a spare tire delete hornblasters now sells the kit for that too

I have an 88 f150. If it won’t affect the sound much I think imma go with under my tool box for ease of access. I appreciate the advice! Hopefully I’ll get her done tomorrow.

I have everything in the toolbox and the horns under the toolbox facing back.

That’s how my setup is. I finished the plumbing yesterday and I’m just about to run wires. Sucks that I lost my tool box but I’m sure I’ll get over it when I’m finished.
Another question… I’m a hydraulic mechanic by trade and I’m used to dealing with 3000+ psi. The torque on some lines I worked on is ridiculous. Do I need to crank down on these fittings with only 145 psi? Or just snug plus a bit?

Specifically the elbow fittings to the horns. I haven’t completely tightened those yet.

I say snug plus a bit because it can be tightened more if it leaks.

Yessir. I finished up about an hour ago. Everything seems in good working order. I’m losing about 2 psi every 30 minutes but I can live with that. I’m definitely satisfied. Thank y’all for the advice and info!

Many leaks can be found with a bubble solution.

My install and other stuff …

https://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=4068

https://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=5241

-Kris

Use some thread seal or lock fluid on all your fittings and your issues with leaks will be history. Being a hydraulic guy, you’ll probably have plenty of that stuff lying around :wink: I use Pirtek S69 which is a hydraulic thread fluid and I believe equivalent to the Loctite 545. Anyway, all of that kind of stuff will work and is a MUST if, or when you go to a 200psi setup.

Honestly I never used thread tape or fluid working on helicopters… it was always o rings or gaskets. Only when replacing a pipe in my house. Lol but yes I used the supplied tape from the HB kit on every fitting that didn’t already have sealant on it. 3-4 psi an hour ain’t a big deal to me when I’m only running horns. But once I start using it for air tools I’ll probly get off my lazy a%* and find it. Btw just order an ob2…

Marine, I’m impressed by your setup! Is edc cheaper than the Oasis compressors? Also is it noticeable when it’s pumping (less power like ac).

You can hear it, but with the Cummins on a tow tune (60 over stock) it’s more like the A/C compressor kicking in, which by the way is exactly what the EDC is, rebuilt Sanden SD-209 A/C pump.

14 CFM of air up to 100psi, then 7 CFM up until my pressure switch turns it off at 175psi. It’s constant duty like the Oasis, but for insane amounts of air the Oasis has me beat.

Price-wise, I’d say it was slightly less than the Oasis. I had new power steering lines put in since the kit calls for bending them just above the pump. I think the pump and bracket ran me about $1200, and the new lines were around $400, and I had my local dealer install it all for around $500.

I did the plumbing and electrical myself, and had a specialty shop mount the horns. I’m in the process of swapping my K3L for my K5LLA and upgrading my air tank, and adding a train bell.

Before:

First stage of polishing:

-Kris

Oooooh so shiny. Nice work man. Where you gonna mount that ding-dong?

Gonna get a custom headache rack made to mount my soon to be powder coated K5LLA, and have the bell mounted just to the passenger side of center on the rack.

We’re still working the details … I’ll have another new tread about it once it’s done.

-Kris

If and when I upgrade more I’ll probably go with an edc. I like the electronic comps but an oasis would be WAY too much amperage for my old 88. I gotta upgrade my alternator just for the ob2 I got before I install it.

That bell is crazy. I never knew they ran on air too… I look forward to seeing it installed!

Are k5s the horn that’s currently used on US trains?

The K5LLA is a Canadian tuned horn, the overall sound is a deeper tone.

-Kris

Maybe not, most of the power comes from your battery and auxiliary batteries will help. Your alternator just needs enough time to replace that power.