Solenoid recommendation for tank bleeding?

I have a pair of 5 Gallon tanks on my roof rack with extended manual drain valves…

Took the rack off for some paint work and figured it would be a good time to add a pair of 3/8" solenoids for easy drains and mild scares at times when the big guns are just overkill :o

Thing is, the tanks are steel and tend to spit out the usual rusty crud when drained :rolleyes:

Any suggestions for an inexpensive, 3/8" solenoid that won’t get clogged or leak due to excessive water and crud?

from looking at your setup this 40$ 3/8" valve should do the trick

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=air-lift-3-8-in-nickel-air-valve

i run with this on my setup, love it. plus it does 300 psi if your crazy enough :slight_smile:

if you want cheaper then this 22$ one brass 3/8" but only does 210 psi

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=hornblasters-3-8-in-brass-air-valve

I only run ~150psi (tops out at about 160 in the Summer)

My main concern is being able to handle the excess water and crud without sticking or leaks :o

I used the original plastic solenoid from my old HB4H kit as a bleeder for the tank in my golf cart and after pissing out all the moisture, it wouldn’t close properly and leak slowly about 50% of the time :frowning:

I bought a 1/4" SMC valve for this. I hope it doesn’t clog or leak.
My tank is SS, but even my old aluminum tanks got crud in them.

The first tank in any system will get crud in it unless you put a moisture trap on its input and use a long hose from the compressor so the air has time to cool. Without the long hose the air might be too hot for the moisture trap to work.

Right - the water is expected.

I was refering to the nastyness:D of the water, even though the tank was aluminum.

If you use a trap it’ll help. Run the hose from the bottom of the tank to a low point where the valve will be mounted, so this gets the water out of the tank and helps reduce the crud. I use this setup on mine and it helps, but the water will always be a bit nasty.

-Kris

I was installing some new wheels on my dads 5 gallon portable compressor and my knee accidentally hit the drain valve on the bottom of it and it looked like it was… well… shiting. lol I closed it up and had to take the garden hose and wash it off… YUCK!