SPECS for boats.

does anyone know the specs for horns on boats. a friend of mine has a 26ft boat and wants a k3la, but does anyone know the coast guard specs regarding how loud a horn has to be heard and what distance, such as

example a boat over XX- meters must be heard XX- distance and XX decibels…
thanks for you help…

k3la + salt water dont mix…

Powdercoat= problem solved :cool:

+1!

That wouldn’t help anything but the outside of the horn. The inside would still get corroded from just the salty air. For example… (borrowed this from hornwhistleboard)

Exactly thats why buck’s k5la has all that oxidation on itfrom the salt on the roads… aluminum and salt create a chemical reaction that is verry damaging to aluminum… but hey! dont listen to me… if you want to go ahead and ruin your horn go right ahead lol

Plus with powder coating you dont get the internals of the horn… the part that really matters… and one small nic in the coating and oxidation will spread under the powder coat.

i was thinking of using KAHLENBERG horn instead of using NATHAN AIRCHIME HORNS, cause that picture that was posted above is a leslie A-200-156

Hmmm…wow yeah inside oxidation would deff be a problem, all could be coated with a clearcoat except the seat where the diaphram hits… it would be done in no time. :frowning:

this is the whole reason boat and ship horns are brass or bronze…

Wrong, that is NOT an A-200. I can tell you’ve never seen inside a K horn before… that’s a K1 bell on an individual manifold. Notice the diffuser ring and the 3 allen head screws… That should be a dead giveaway.

ive seen those…there on ebay

Or you could put a S4 kit on there and not have to worry about it, they are ABS reinforced plastic(bombproof).

yup shocker abs and stainless cant go wrong like he said

yeah but will the shocker 4 set meet to coast guard standards…

It is as loud or louder than a nathan P3, my regal bow rider came with a cheap car horn on it it is 25 feet, now it has a shocker on it. Very Very loud.

It’s not as loud as a P3… not nearly…

I was going to say maybe as loud as a p-series 3 bell maybe…