Starting a horn project... or two

Figured, I’d ask around and learn from what’s already been done and get started on the right foot. This looks like the place!

Planning to put air horns on my truck and my boat. I’ve been looking at the DIY pvc horns and really want to make a low, deep fog horn for my boat. I have a 12 foot long compartment that leads to a vent that would be perfect to sneak in a fog horn.

I also want to make a multiple horn setup for my truck. It’s an F250 so there’s a ton of room underneath. I’d like to make a low-deep sounding multi tone horn.

So I guess to get started, I’d like to know where to start with DIY PVC horns, if they are accepted here and who the experts are.

As for air compressors, I live near the beach, so need something that can handle salt spray under the truck. There’s so much junk on the market, it would be great to get some recommendations for a quality compressor & tank.

Welcome. For a ready made solution, give Hornblasters a call. They’ve got a deep fog horn which might suit your taste. As to DIY, there’s been a few - I think a bloke called DozerBoyMiller used to sell plans on eBay which come up pretty good. Might want to search the forum because I seem to recall a few mentions of it in the past.

Welcome to the forum. Have a look around and enjoy your stay.
Keep us posted on your build! :smiley:

Welcome. The hardiest compressors are Oasis (biased - lol). A customer in New Jersey had his compressor mounted under his truck and it rusted within a year from the salt used for de-icing the roads. He got another compressor of ours and sprayed the entire thing with “Fluid Film” every 3 months, even through the holes in the motor’s brush covers, and he said it looked practically brand new a year later.

I was looking at that xd3000-12v, a serious piece of equipment!

I’ve gathered some ideas and figure it’s time to play around with the PVC parts on hand and see what kind of noise I can make. The adventure begins, I’ll start a build thread.