Starting out with a K3LA in this new interest

I have had a few close calls with back road deer and ppl not paying attention to me, my truck, my 25ft trailer and the 12000 lbs load so for safety reasons I think this will makes things a lil safe for everyone involved

Looks like a great site and I have learned much already so thank you all for that

I bought a 3 horn set, twin compressor, 5 gallon tank (enuff for 1 burst if needed) and all the wiring, valves and stuff needed.

Got a great deal from Ebay I couldn’t pass up so now it’s off to reading, learning, researching then the install.

Thanks again and great site

Welcome to the forum. Nice starting set - you’ll get more than one burst out of 5 gallons and a K3. You drain that tank and there’ll be no road deer within 20 miles :D. Get a regulator and run them around 110 if you want to stretch it out with the honk time on a 5 gal air supply.

I have to be honest being new to all this, I received a box with big stuff I can identify and a bunch of wires and lil plastic boxes (relays and stuff), I have yet to figure them all out, but I will

I have ideas of making it work off my shifter, I am a pilot and have a helicopter cyclic I will mount as a shifter and I have all the wires coming off it.

The trigger on the cyclic will activate the horn, the other buttons will be for lights and other stuff I come up with

This will be fun once it’s all done, my biggest thing is I want it all hidden and unseen. The set-up will be most important for me so I will take my time with this.

HAHA… heli cyclic will be a first. Can’t wait to see pics. You could always convert the pitch lever into a massive air valve to top it off :wink:

that collective would be a hard install, needs to be on the left hand side.

I already have the cyclic threaded and ready to go, just have to adjust the shifter. I need to shorten and bend it so it all fits and feels right

hey quick question, I have seen about this old cast vs new cast with the pat pend on the horns. Mine say airchime and show 1,2 and 4 I believe but no pat pend anywhere

so what do I have? the manifold does say Nathan K3la Over The Road

You’ve picked up an OTR (Over the Road) edition. They were designed to go onto trucks and initially had the inlet throat restricted (via a hex plug in the base of the manifold) to make them more appropriate for use in traffic.

Lots of folks cracked up about the restrictor - which could easily be removed by the way (with a hex key), so in the end Microprecission just manufactured them the same as their rail-road horns. They are essentially the same, except for the tag. The OTR tag was in the end only really used to track their sales to the non-rolling stock industry.

Depending on where the horn came from it could of course be a mix-n-match cobbled together from various parts. Either way, the proof of the pudding is in the sound - if they seal nice and tight (i.e. you can’t blow air through them just with your lungs) and they sound good - then it doesn’t really matter, unless you’re a collector keen on preserving heritage.

Nice, thank you for all that. They are a Hornblasters set with a sv 66615 1/2 inch valve, Air Zenith Adjustable Pressure Switch and a relay as far as major electrical things that came with it.

All nipples and valves for the 5 gallon tank, 1/2 inch air line and the twin Viair 450 compressors.

And nope, not a collector here, I might polish them up for looks, just for fun and for myself but they will be under the truck and out of sight.

As soon as I get this whole thing set up I’ll post pics.

Initially just with some dollar button/switch until I get the cyclic set up nice

Thanks for all the help and info

BTW for the price and what I have found, I think things went well there :slight_smile: