Tasted my own medicine...

Stopped along I77 Thursday just below Mineral Wells Wv and someone tooted on a K5 as they went by…Didn’t scare me…but got my attention.

I know this is unrelated, but I think your horn would look a lot nicer if you stripped the chrome plating off, painted the whole horn a flat black color and switched the longest horn with the middle horn on the manifold and you would get a more authentic train horn look.

Already did the bell switch about a month ago…Thought the same thing about the appearance…But I’m not really ready to go to the trouble of stripping and repainting since they may not be my primary horn for very much longer…The price of the K5 on realtrainhorns.net is getting low enough thar I might be able to do it with out getting my name in the paper(obituaries)…

You should take a picture of the bell switch and give us some more videos of your horn then! And yes, realtrainhorns prices are getting very low.

Here are the UP’s after the bell switch…Hope to replace them with true blue Airchimes soon!

Here are the UP’s after the bell switch…Hope to replace them with Airchimes soon…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80301002@N06/7176231945/in/photostream

As far as I can tell the link works…You’ll have to turn up your speakers…Phone doesn’t have a very sensitive mic.This was approx. a mile away with my 14 year old son at the valve…Nice job if I do say so myself…

The link does work and those horns are very loud for their price. The horns look better with the switched bells too.

By the way, what are you gonna do with your UP’s when you get a K5LA? If you plan to sell them, you should do a distance comparison (set up the camera about 200 feet away from the horns) between the UP’s and the K5, both running on the same size air line.

Well I shouldn’t have to tell you…There would be no comparison between an Airchime and a UP…Like comparing a Ferrari to a Smart…lol…I wish UP had done a 5 chime knockoff…curious as to how good it would sound…Ive had these horns nearly two years and I still get requests…I’m known as “The Dodge with the train horns”…That was my whole intent…To keep the echoes going…Even though the tracks have been gone 20 years…

UP does make a 5 chime horn, but I have no idea what it sounds like. I know the difference would be big but it would be nice to hear it, which is why distance tests are so good.

Wish I knew where to get one…They’re not well advertised…

Are your horns really mounted the way they are in that pic??

http://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BRCS/PROD/UEAH/UP46131

Try this. I don’t know if this is going to be as loud as your current horn, but at that price I’d just save up a little extra and buy a refurbed K5 off of eBay.

Yep…That is how they are mounted…up against the front of the truck bed…