Thinking about a back up tank

Hey all. So from my other posts you can see I’m redoing my whole ride. I am moving the tanks and compressor to a tool box. But leaving the horns in the same place.

But, I thought about something the other day, Harbor freight sells like a 11 gal air tank for 30 bucks or so. Right now, all I have it a a 2 gal and and 3 gal tank. Obviously the compressors are not rated to fill more then 5. So I was thinking about getting one of those 11 gal tanks and having it so when I run out of air, either, use the spare tank to fill the other two, or use this spare tank to run the horns while the other 5 gal is filling.

The only thing is, I would have to use a valve of some sort to shut off the air supply to this spare tank. Or if I were to use it to run the horns, then I would have to run a tee in the main lines running to the horns. If I were to the spare tank to fill the main tanks, it would equalize the system, and those 11gal tanks are only rated for 125 psi. and I run my setup at 150… Which the horns will work at 125 psi, I just dont know how much air I would loose when they equalized .

Which is a better idea, running the spare tank to fill the main tanks faster, or use the spare tank to run the horns while the main tanks are refilling??

I can stop at any gas station that has a tire refill and top off the spare tank…

Thanks guys

Connect the 150 PSI and 125 PSI tanks with a check valve with the flow direction going to the 150 PSI side

Wouldn’t a gas station’s air hose have a regulator set at 40-50 psi?
Maybe, may not.
You might want to check a few gas stations.

Get one Oasis compressor and forget about the 5 gallon limit. It can fill 10 of those tanks from 0 to 150 psi in less than 11 minutes.

+1

The Oasis compressor kicks butt!!!

Mine is VERY handy. My boat is next to my home and I just run a long air hose to the driveway when I need air for automotive work.

Mine is configured to extra maximum super plus forced cooling, so I have no issues w/ continuous usage in my concealed mounting volume. The XD4000 is rated for continuous operation when free air is available.

Plus it is at-the-ready when it is time to reverberate the coastline w/ my Kahlenberg horns and whistle.

+1

The Oasis compressor kicks butt!!!

Mine is VERY handy. My boat is next to my home and I just run a long air hose to the driveway when I need air for automotive work.

Mine is configured to extra maximum super plus forced cooling, so I have no issues w/ continuous usage in my concealed mounting volume. The XD4000 is rated for continuous operation when free air is available.

Plus it is at-the-ready when it is time to reverberate the coastline w/ my Kahlenberg horns and whistle.

Sure I’d love too. But I can’t afford one.

About the check valve that might work. I guess the only time it would push air into the 150 side is if it went below 125 right??

Is the normal horn blasters check valves suitable or would I need a different one? I’m not sure if they run off psi or what