Tool Oil Water Separator Question

I feel like a noob asking this so here it goes. I was wondering of how you drain the oil out of one of these once it gets full?

Do I use the bleeder valve?

Or is there another method?

Hmmm… i dont use a oil/water separator for my pneumatics, let alone i never drain my tanks.

My excuse is I live in the desert.

I think the only time you need to use a separator is when your doing auto body paint.

Well I do have a great reason why I am using it. Its For my York 210. :stuck_out_tongue: I made the mistake of not using one and when I was taking the fittings off of the old tank there was a bunch of Goop (Oil) That was discharged from the York all over the fittings. I used an old tooth brush and some Q-Tips to clean them off inside.

ohhh ok them. Well i would invest in a good coalescing filter from McMasterCarr or Grainger. I originally bought a cheap 50 dollar one, which oil would blow past the filter, but then i bought a 200 dollar one so i could just stop worrying about it… Worked great ever since.

Yup, you’ll want a coalescing filter. Ideally one with a sight glass and a metal cup. Usually there’s a thumb screw at the bottom of these you can open to drain the cup. On mine I replaced that thumb screw with a valve … and then from the valve I convert to a hose fitting and have a hose that runs to a point under the truck. So, once my system is running, I’ll simply be able to open a valve to discharge the collected oil.

Some people pump it back into the York using Kilby’s kit, but I personally think that’s a bad idea since that fluid will be a mixture of coalesced oil and water.

shoot, well I will keep you guys posted on how this cheap $30.00 one works out. I spent about $200.00 on the York Itself! lol

The filters I’m familiar with have a petcock or thumb valve at the bottom and a replacable filter element inside.

If curious, my coalescing filter was made by Coilhose Pneumatics. It’s part number 8924M. KBC Tools had the cheapest price by far on it. If you Google ‘1-816-8924M’ (without the quotes), the first result should be the relevant KBC Tools catalog page.

Coilhose makes smaller ones and it would have been cheaper to get one. I wrestled with getting a smaller one, but the next size down is barely adequate for the max CFM of the York 210L, and I didn’t want the coalescing filter to hamper CFM in my application. I’m also using 1/2" NPT throughout as much of the system as possible, so that was another reason for the model I got.

A metal bowl is a must for my application since it’s mount location is in the engine compartment. It’s also the very first stop from the compressor (with a load genie check valve/unloader combo right after the coalescing filter), so it’s taking the compressed air at its hottest … in an already-hot environment.

Thanks guys! I book marked the oil separator Surrealone in case this one doesn’t work. well here is a photo of it plumbed on the york.

I have the plumbing as follows:
1, Compressor to oil sep
2, oil sep to V-air Check Valve
3, quick connect
4, air tank.
I’m currently using 1/4 but will plain to upgrade to 1/2 air line in the future.

A tangential question for you – did you mount your York in the space between the engine and the fuse box in your Silvy? If so did you use a vbelt or a bigger serp belt? (If a v-belt, why?)

I’m asking because that’s where mine will be going … and I’m planning to go with a bigger serp belt. The concern I have is that access to the power steering fill port will be a problem, as the York will literally be just a few inches above the screw-off cap. (I’ll probably have to remove the dipstick, too, to make this work.)

You may have more room in your 1989 than I have in my 2004, though… or different positioning.

I do have a lot of space to work with under the hood of my 89 silverado. I’m pretty much doing this again this year.

Its pretty funny and weird but it actually works pretty good. Specially the fact that there it no heat from an engine to heat up the air coming in. If you were to install a york under the hood of your truck I would recommend what is the most easiest for you, Me personally I would go for a serpentine belt, I do plan on mounting a york under the hood of my truck where the Smog pump would go, since my truck is an 89 and not an 88 (88 chevys have smog pumps 89 and on don’t, but there is a space to mount a york on the engine since they don’t use smog pumps.)

Well, I hadn’t expected that. ROFL

Love it!

Your bike has a better setup than my truck, I’m very jealous haha.

Im full of surprises arent I? Lol :smiley:

I build a bracket for my 2010 tahoe to hold a york 210. All GM Truck/Suv’s from basically 2000 to 2013 are the same under the hood. So essentially the bracket i made will fit in a truck/suv from those years.

lol i would love to have you make a bracket for my 94, i dont know any good fabricators that are willing to do that work around me. :mad:

Sometimes what I like to say is “If you want the job done, Do it yourself!” lol There’s gotta be someone in a shop around there willing to do that for you. My cousin finished his classes in welding and I was thinking of having him do me a favor with another York Compressor (When I get another one.) :smiley: