Train Horn questions

Ok guys kinda new to the train horn world so i have a couple ? i have a 07 dodge 2500 were would be a good place to mount my set up? I want that good deep loud sound you no like a train horn lol i seen a bunch of videos on you tube and some sound like high pitched train horns are carnival horns So my question is how do you determine which horn will give you that good bass instead of a high pitched semi train horn sound do you judge the horn length? is it the psi? the tank size? are the air hose size? Please dont laugh to much but i bought a cheap set off of ebay last night It has a 1.6 gal tank a 150 psi compressor and a four horn trumpet horn set i think the longest one is 13 3/4 inches long. Any help on all these questions would be great thanks guys and have a good one

Welcome. The pressure, tank size, air hose etc doesn’t really change the pitch of the horn. They help determine loudness and honk time.

The size can be a good indicator of the horn’s tone, but not a guarantee. I don’t know of any real small ones that are deep / low. Yours probably are not, but they’re a place to start.

The deepest loudest horns before getting into a real trainhorn are the Shockers. They are bigger, but the 4 horns are seperate so they’re easier to fit.

Ear2Ear has you on the right track, so I’ll second the suggestion of the Shockers (made by Hornblasters). They’re generally sold as a set of 4 horns, but you can also get them individually or as pairs. Sounds like you’re on a tight budget so they are definitely one of the top low-cost choices out there, both in terms of sound and ease of mounting. They’ll give you that deep sound you’re after and they’re loud as all hell.

Although 1.6 gal is a tad small, you could keep the tank and compressor you got off eBay and just buy the horns, a solenoid, air line and some push fittings from HB to get you going. Contact the guys at HB and I’m sure they’ll help you out with the parts you’ll need. You can always upgrade the air supply side, or to a real train horn later on.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with both of these guys, start with shockers and plan to upgrade in the future.

Changing the hose size on mine did of course change the loudness, but it also changed the pitch of mine…

As stated above by the others. The shockers are a nice start. I had them and made numerous custom bell configurations. By cutting and re-tuning them the chords of Nathans and Leslie horns. DBO I’m not trying to be a jerk. But the shocker horns are made by (B uell) a company that has been in the horn business for a long time. Also as stated by the others a good air set up is the key. If you need any help give a shout.

Good luck with your project.

If you’re not running the Cummins then mount them facing down behind the grille.

If you’re running the Cummins, you could take a look at my install and upgrade; mine are mounted to the driver’s side frame rail under the bed and I’m heard between 1 and 1.5 miles away.

-Kris

Yeah the shockers are deep. There are 4 trumpets and they range from short to long. Leave the short one out of your setup if you want (pretty much) all bass. Pressures, with the shockers, do change % of perceived bass to treble. 150PSI and the short horns are strong along with the others. Somewhere around 100PSI or lower, the short trumpets quiets down and the long trumpets take over.

With extreme pressures with the shockers, like over 200PSI, even the long trumpets are trebly. There was a youtube video of some guy running something toward 300PSI and it sounded like crap.

Shockers vs others; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJwcWWAzEBk

Hey no worries … happy to see the record set straight :).
I kind of remembered that they had “Hornblasters - Made in the U.S.A.” cast into the base of the horns and therefore thought that they were made by them.