Viair 10007 On Board Air W/ Air Horns

Before I begin this is going to be a long post. So any help is very much appreciated

Hey everyone,

Very very long time lurker here. Finally have my air horns, and my on board air kit. As you can see in the title that is the Viair Kit I bought.

Viair 450C Compressor
Viair 2.5GAL tank 6 ports.
***** 10" and 12" air horn(Got them for free) rated at 30CFM @ 100PSI

I have a 2015 Ford F250 that this stuff will be going on.

Questions I have:

1. Can I mount the tank and compressor behind my rear seat? Or is that to tight of a space?

2. If not can I just mount the compressor? Does Viair make a longer leader hose for the compressor to tank?

3. My kit did not come with a solenoid for the horns, I’m assuming I will need one. I have 0 knowledge about those which one will be the best?

4. Do I need to get a pressure regulator since I will also be using this kit for onboard air as well as horns?

5. Looking at the instructions that came with the kit it looks as if 6 ports on the tank will not be enough…do I need to buy a manifold?

6. Not sure if I can post links, but I wanted to use a footswitch to activate my air horns instead of my horn. Is that possible? I will be tying the power from the compressor, and tank into my aux switches that are rated at 25A.

7. I was watching a video on youtube, and the person joined the compressor and the pressure switch together and ran the “hot” wire to the aux switch. Is that a common practice if the relay can handle the load?

That’s all I can think of at the moment. Thank you for any help/advice/comments/criticism/concerns.

1. Can I mount the tank and compressor behind my rear seat? Or is that to tight of a space?

I wouldn’t since the compressor is loud and will need some air to cool it.

2. If not can I just mount the compressor? Does Viair make a longer leader hose for the compressor to tank?

See above. Mount it on the frame rail or get the kit to mount everything to the spare tire winch. Unscrew it to maintain the system, and then raise it up when done.

3. My kit did not come with a solenoid for the horns, I’m assuming I will need one. I have 0 knowledge about those which one will be the best?

Order it from HornBlasters.

4. Do I need to get a pressure regulator since I will also be using this kit for onboard air as well as horns?

Only if your tank pressure is more than what the horns can handle. You’ll definitely need one if you’re running air bags.

5. Looking at the instructions that came with the kit it looks as if 6 ports on the tank will not be enough…do I need to buy a manifold?

Nope, but if you do then use a T-fitting from any plumbing store, Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc. They’re 1/2 inch NPT.

6. Not sure if I can post links, but I wanted to use a footswitch to activate my air horns instead of my horn. Is that possible? I will be tying the power from the compressor, and tank into my aux switches that are rated at 25A.

You can use any switch you want.

7. I was watching a video on youtube, and the person joined the compressor and the pressure switch together and ran the “hot” wire to the aux switch. Is that a common practice if the relay can handle the load?

Yup, because you can turn the system off for maintenance and not worry about the system trying to fill itself.

-Kris

Thank you for your response.

I will end up mounting the tank and compressor then somewhere along the frame rail or spare tire.

I take it the solenoid I get for the horns needs to have an incoming air and the outgoing needs to have a tee since I have two horns.

As for the foot switch I take it I will hook that up to the solenoid and then to power to completely bypass using the stock horn.

As for the pressure regulator can I have the two air inlet ports come off that to regulate the PSI and have one port off the tank go straight to the solenoid for the horns?

So for the solenoid something like this?

Obviously need to figure out what size air line I have coming into it and get the correct one. From there I can Tee off the out going air to the horns?

For the pressure regulator… You want incoming air from the tank to flow through the regulator and then goes to your horns.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Idk what size air line you will need to get your 30cfm but I’d error on the side of larger and go with a 1/2 lines and a 1/2 solenoid valve.

Sorry for the multiple posts but I was on break and figured I could help with a picture.

In the pic my finger is on the incoming airline from the tank. It then tees and goes to the regulator on the right and keeps on going to the solenoid valve. On the other side of the valve it changes to hose and goes out to the horns.
I’d recommend putting in a tee between the regulator and the solenoid valve with a female air hose quick connect, so you can plug in some hose for pumping up tires or air tools. Just as you see there

Thanks for the responses. Just waiting on a bracket for my tank to be fabbed up.

Need to purchase a solenoid, switch, and pressure regulator and I think I’m all set to go. Will update as I go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk