Viair 444C or 480C

By Saturday I should have my Leslie RS3L, so I am in need of upgrading my air system. I will be going with either two 5-gallon tanks or one 12-gallon tank probably running 120#, but definitely no more than 140#. So here’s my questions:

Number wise (volume & pwr), the Viair 444C and Viair 480C seem comparable, except the Viair 444C Dual kit is $60 cheaper than the Viair 480C Dual kit. What’s the difference and is one better for my application than the other?

How well do the Viair compressor hold up?

Do the HB advertised dual kits include an unloader valve?

Air Zenith has an OB2 compressor that has a higher flow (3.8 vs 3.5) at a lower power draw (486 W vs 520 W). It’s also cheaper than either of the mentioned Viair dual kits, so any opinions on the AZ over the Viair?

i have a 480c like 2 years now and i never had a single problem with it

I have 5 480C’s and not one has ever had a problem

Certain companies will have you believe that compressors can’t start at higher pressures. This is because their own compressor can’t do it, and they won’t admit that other compressors can. VIAIR compressors do not require an unloader of any sort. They vent head pressure on their own when at rest.

Thanks for the info - I was concerned with limiting motor life due to higher starting currents associated with any pressure between the compressor and check valve.

So what’s the trade off between the 444C and the 480C?:confused:

Since we’re talking Dual Packs, the trade off is a different head assembly, no included pressure switch, and no included relays on the 444C Dual Packs.

Thanks, that makes sense. Guess I’ll be ordering the 480C dual pack.:smiley:

FYI - the first batch of 444C Dual Packs arrived yesterday…

The 444C Dual Packs are in stock!

Well I still haven’t bought any compressors because things have been kinda tight at work, but Im still hoping to find some extra money soon. I found a 444c dual pack on ebay from HORNBLASTERS that DOES include the relays and pressure switch. So as far as the compressors go, what is the difference in the head assembly in these and the 480’s. What I guess Im tryin to ask is, what makes the 480’s better if everything is the same? And why the $60 price difference?

Ended up buying the 444c dual pack and received relays and pressure switches with it. I’m extremely happy so far and cant wait to get them hooked up. Garrett is the man I got everything including 2 t shirts and coozies and stickers all for 259 shipped.

Wow, that does sound like a pretty good deal.

I just got my dual 400C compressors with the typical misc components for $260, shipped to the door.

Unfortunately, I’m waiting for spring to put my new system in.

Don’t blame ya its too dam cold to do anything outside. But I’m about to go over to my buddy’s and start on my truck a little bit anyway… If he answers the phone, cause its so cold… ha.

My garage is toasty warm, but I don’t want to stick my “new to me” Leslies out in the snow and salt.

I’m probably a little too protective, but for now I just sit out in the driveway and honk away.

I’ve built a “2-speed” electric horn control so I play around trying to see how I can adjust for the best sounds.

Ended up buying the 444c dual pack and received relays and pressure switches with it. I’m extremely happy so far and cant wait to get them hooked up. Garrett is the man I got everything including 2 t shirts and coozies and stickers all for 259 shipped.

Is this deal still available? If so, I’m all in.

your best bet would be to call, when i went to order a 444c they offered me a amazing deal on a dual pack.

From reading about them, seems the 444C is the way to go!