Well...lost another pressure switch.

I was driving home Sunday, and a red Dodge couldn’t stay in its lane when I tried to pass it on the interstate. My dad reached over and mashed the horn, and, after a small toot, the guy got back in his lane. The compressor kicked in.

A few minutes later, I noticed the compressor was still running. Then, the pressure relief valve let out, so I stopped after reaching my exit, and turned off the compressor. This is the second pressure switch I’ve gone through. I haven’t taken anything apart yet, but when I do, I expect that the bottom of the switch will probably be rusted, like the last one was–even though there is never any water in the tank when I go to drain it. I’ve been flipping the switch to the compressor to fill up the tank and then turning the compressor off when my pressure gauge reaches 150.

This is troubling me, since I hardly use the horns. Are there pressure switches that aren’t prone to rusting or otherwise not working?

If you don’t mind it being a bit big, “Square D” pressure switches have been used on shop compressors for decades. Our shop compressor is at least 10 years old, it gets used everyday, and its pressure switch is still working.

The thing on the left is my Square D Pressure switch. They are kind of big.

were is your pressure swich on the tank? is it on the bottom?
also what kind of pressure swich is it do u use it wit a relay?

As you can see, the pressure switch is beneath where the leader hose is screwed into the tank. The pic was taken soon after install, so that’s the first pressure switch that was on there. When that went out, I ordered another, similar pressure switch from Hornblasters. No relays.

Mate that’s your problem.

Tank on side and hence drain port on wont train moisture in bottom of tank.

Use a relay the pressure swich won’t handle the high start up current.

If u can’t get tank upright maybee use a different tank.

Buy the looks of that pic tank ‘could’ have 2" of water in it before drain cock would see any water driving arround sloshing arround a bit of water could get into swich.

Note there might only be a capful of water in there but still. I’ve seen how much liquid comes out of our shop compressor that gets drained weekly you will be supprised.

Maybee even just move tank upright to drain it and see if any liquid comes out.

^ what he said

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I would move your lead hose to the pressure relief spot. The pressure relief to the PS spot, and the PS to the lead spot.
Reason being, you dont want the lead hose by the output of moisture coming from compressor, and you dont want your PS near bottom of tank by moisture.

U can buy donut tanks as well may fit your space better

http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=hornair-black-4g8p-air-tank

It’s $100 but may work better for u.

While u are there check out there pressure swiches with relays under $5 extra.