Went to jail

Lawyers are expensive. A decent lawyer is going to be $150-$200 per hour. You might be able to find one that can handle your case for a flat fee. If your record is clean your lawyer will be able to make a deal to reduce your charge to something minor and you will get fined. Were you issued a misdemeanor, or just a citation? Sounds like the cops in your area know you have them, so what’s the use in keeping them? I would pull them off and just be done with it. You cant use them without getting in trouble.

I’m gettin rid of them anyways…but we’re goin to a lawyer my dad uses,don’t think he charges anything to just talk about it. I got disorderly conduct so I’m guessing a misdemeanor? Idk honestly. This is the first time I’ve went to jail. So record is clean lol

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Depends on where you live and their financial aid system, but if you hire a public defender and your [income - expenses] is low enough, the cost for a lawyer can be $0. At least that was the case with me in Vancouver Wa. I had a meeting with a private lawyer/attorney with a very good reputation, and I described the situations with my horns, he wanted something over $500, maybe over $1000, I forget. Public defenders can be good too.

Whats the proof that they never read them to you? Do you have it on tape?

I hate to have called BS on you, but it just doesn’t add up.

Well no. But neither did my buddy. At the same time do they have proof they read them to me? Even though they didn’t…

Why doesn’t it? Well you saw my name on the arrest file. Why would I lie about it? Lol ppl these days…

Lawyer said he’d go to court with me for $100, and he’s well known and very good.

Sounds like a good deal to me

Ask for the “Officer’s Discovery” , and see if you can get the dash cam audio or video footage of the traffic stop. You have the right to the officer’s written report (The Discovery), so you can request it at the proper office.

Hopefully the officer had a microphone on his suit and the dash cam was recording…

worst case you plead down to a lesser chrage. dont just plead guilty.

Because nothing adds up. Yeah, you got a disorderly conduct charge…but who’s to say thats for honking your horns like you claimed? They certainly had no grounds to arrest you for anything you are claiming they arrested you for…especially with all of the circumstances that you have mentioned, which all are normal procedure for an arrest of any type.

That is such a loose statute, an officer could have written you for anything with that charge. I’d like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but also with the fact that you are young…it draws plenty of doubt in itself. Thats just the way things work. If you can provide some documentation that this story is true however, I will certainly go out of my way to apologize.

Until then, I see this as nothing more than an attempt to draw attention to yourself on here.

not sure how you expect me to have documentation? but my mom put on facebook disordly conduct= my son and train horns. honestly…if you dont believe me after all of this then so be it. court date is NOV. 15th. funny how everyone else believes me. O well…i have no reason to lie to get on the internet to try to get noticed?

The simple fact they didn’t read you your Miranda rights means with a good lawyer the charge can be thrown out and your record cleared, so you won’t have issues in the future with having a record.

There isn’t any proof, they didn’t find the horns, and if I were you I’d take them off … for a while anyway.

Sounds like a case of small town cops that don’t know their jobs.

-Kris

well someone told me that they dont have to read them to you…talked to a lawyer and he said the same…?

oh they are coming off as we speak…at least the horns…everythings for sale anyways.

To the OP, again…if this is all the truth, my bad…but maybe its just the different ways things are enforced from area to area, that makes it seem so unbelievable (to me).

For the fact that he wasn’t being questioned while in custody, no Miranda rights are needed. Miranda rights are only needed for custody interrogations. What is going to happen here is the neighbor that called the police with be subpoenaed to court to testify, and 99% chance she will not show up. Therefore, the case will be garbage.

If anyone here in NC were to be charged, it’d be a misdemeanor at most…and wouldn’t grant an arrest (for the example given). If it was just a matter of the local LEO being angry for getting called back out for the nuisance noise…around here they’d most likely just pick you apart, and write you for anything/everything they can justify. It sounds like the LEO that the OP dealt with were more lazy than anything, and likely just made the arrest to prove their point…and knew it wouldn’t stand up in court anyways.

Don’t worry, things don’t add up and it shouldn’t have led to an arrest. I have my papers now…sad part is old lady didn’t file for a warrant for my arrest the cop did! How messed up is that? When he never heard nor seen me …just goin off womans words…

Sounds like either the cops aren’t tolerating much at all, whether its the noise the horn made…or the lady calling in the horn over and over again.

Also to clear it up for everyone on here, now that you state that there was a warrant…the arrest itself is totally justified. So your arrest itself was legit, 100%. Now its to court to see if you can get it thrown out. You have already done the first step, which is the best thing for you…and that is taking the horns off of your truck. I believe your chances for any conviction are slim to none.

I am sure they wrote it as a misdemeanor…what class misdemeanor was it? The reason I ask, don’t necessarily settle for taking the conviction, just to be done with it. Stuff like this can/will come back to haunt you. I can tell you from my own personal experience. See the ATV in my avatar? It got me 2 different misdemeanor charges. In fact, to compare the class misd I was written for…it was the same as several different drug possession charges, as well as some other ridiculous crimes.

Want to know what I did? First charge was for riding a motorized vehicle on state park property. I went to court with no lawyer/public defender, talked to the DA…and had it thrown out. The trails were not clearly marked as state park property. I took tons of pictures, made a map, and even got the park ranger to admit I was 100% cooperative.

My second Misd charge was for operating a motorized vehicle on gamelands. Guess what? It wasn’t clearly marked either. No lawyer/pub defender, I had it thrown out as well…with some community service (which I did through my own fire dept). In this case, there were 16 of us on dirtbikes and atvs. Six of us came to court, the rest just paid the fine and walked away.

The reason I’m telling you this? Without disclosing too much of my own personal information, I have access to alot of information that requires a very extensive background search. One in fact, that takes several weeks to process. Both of my Misd charges were thrown out, as if they never happened. A simple version of my criminal record comes back empty. The extensive version shows everything, even without a conviction. I barely got the job I have today, and that was with those charges thrown out. I had to basic clarify the disposition of each of those charges, and give reasons why I even got the charge in the first place.

If you have a clear criminal record, I recommend going to court early…maybe with a parent, and pictures of your truck with the horns removed. Go talk to the DA, tell them you have no record (if you dont), and you have since removed the horns from your truck as well. Tell them you’d like to get the charge thrown out, and you’d be happy to do some community service in return to have the charge dismissed. Worst case, if the DA says no…then ask for a continuance and come back with a lawyer next month. Mind you, the arresting officer will be there standing with the DA when you talk to him/her, so I hope you were cooperative with the police. Also, be prepared to reply to the officer when he asks you if you lied to him when he asked if you honked the horn. Your best bet is to say your friend did indeed honk your horn, not you…but it was your vehicle and you know its your responsibility. Hence why you removed the horns.

Sorry this is so long…but hope it helps.

Helped a lot man…I know exactly what I need to do.lol I’ll talk to my parents and see the best way to get set up with the DA as I don’t have the slightest clue.it was a class c charge. I’ve talked to several other cops and plan on takin to the sheriff soon. I was very cooperative. Told him I’d cut the line to the horn right then go straight home and take them off but he insisted I go to jail. I told him that night that they blew them and I didn’t, that I didn’t know which one did as i wasn’t around to see.

Just don’t try to use that for reasoning. Accept responsibility for it, let them know you understand how it still reflects back to you. It will go much further for you to say that, I promise.