Would a 6 Gallon Tank Hurt?

I currently have a set of V-air Dual 380’s on my truck I am running 200 psi to a 3 gallon air tank and the horn is a Grover CX1042 this has worked excellent for the past year and a half. I understand that the air compressors are rated to fill 5 gallons max. The Question…

Would 6 hurt? I was just gonna fit another 3 gallon air tank on my truck to get it ready for my new train horn but I wanted some Input from you guys on this. If it is 1 gallon too much then I will find a 2 gallon tank and put it with my 3 gallon tank and work with that.

Dual Viairs?
They’re good for 5 gallons each, but they’re out of warranty anyway, aren’t they?
Still you could do 10 gallons. Your fill time will increase accordingly.

x2…

My warranty was up so i decided to go with 2-5gal tanks for my 1 viair 380c… Takes couple min. to charge back up , but not bad imo for what i use it for…

I am only running them to 150psi tho… if i went to the full 200, i dont know if the compressor could last this long for that many gallons.

Thanks guys. I got confused on how many gallons the V-airs can handle. I now know.

New train horn? Getting the Leslie? Cannot wait, those things are LOUD!

Pft I run my dual 480 on 12 gallon to 200 psi and back when I broke my viair pressure switch sometimes up to 220 psi and I’ve had those compressors for about 4 years now

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Shows the quality of them viars!

I don’t understand why Viair’s 100% duty cycle compressors are still only under warranty if they are used for tanks 5 gallons or smaller. I believe that 100% duty cycle means that they can be running constantly with no heat issues, as long as the area around them is properly ventilated. Maybe it is more about just wear and tear from being having so much “on” time. … what is the MTBF of these compressors?

Question, I have a 400C compressor, if I found a way to keep it cool, could I use it to fill a 10 or 15 gallon tank to 150psi day in and day out? Heat wouldn’t be an issue in this theoretical set up.
From Viair’s web site, the 400C is 33% duty, which is per hour (from their FAQ page). So I take as that it is spec’ed to be able to run up to 20 minutes constantly, then 40 minutes off, then repeat. If it has some serious air flow around it…maybe more?

Yes the duty cycle is heat related, so removing the heat will increase duty cycle and service life.

I hear ya on the 5 gallon thing… But I also understand the manufacturers’ point of view. They have to put a number to it somehow I guess. A tank volume limit is more of a physical barrier as opposed to ‘trusting’ the end user to obey a time limit.

BTW - The 100% ratings are for 1 hour only. Have never seen a cool down time listed.

I don’t know what the MTBF is but their life expectancy is 500 operating hours.

MTBF = Mean Time Between Failure, but I guess I was just asking what the life expectancy was. I got that acronym from hard drives.
500 hours = ~20 days of 24/7 operation and it’s out of spec. With that rating it clearly seems like their compressors are not meant for serious work, like construction sites … What about Oasis :)?

Src plz for the 500 hour life expectancy.
Thanks Danh

Our compressors have a life expectancy of 2500 operating hours. They’re being used on construction sites for many applications. Blowing out equipment and filters, running air tools, filling those large construction equipment tires. They’re even using our 24V models on graders for pulling trailers with air brakes.

Ah, yes. I’m beginning to understand that 500 operating hours for a oil-less compressor is pretty good… I wouldn’t expect my engine to last that long without oil!

Having an oiled-compressor design must result in higher manufacturing costs, otherwise Viair might be making some longer lasting compressors…