Would this sutup work for some K3LA's?

I have a set of AirChime K3LA horns and want to setup a 200 psi 1/2" system. I only have the horns. This system will be on a 2012 F-350 Crew Cab dually. I’m wanting to put the tank and compressors in the bed and the horns on the passenger side under the bed behind the cab.

This is the system that I’m thinking so far:

Viair Dual 480C Compressor kit
5 Gallon 8 Port Tank
SMC 1/2" Air Valve
Air Zenith 220 psi Digital Air Gauge
Viair 220 psi Air Gauge
235 psi Safety Blow-off Valve
1/2" Electric Drain setup

I want to run 1/2" line to the horns and will make my own manifolds. I plan on regulating another port for air bags and accessories(air hose and air tools).

Questions:

1. What fittings are needed for this setup? As in brand and rating?
  2. Do I or should I regulate to the horns?
  3. Do I need any Check Valves anywhere besides the ones with the compressors?
  4. Am I missing anything important for this setup?

Any other suggustions?

Greetings. Looks like a great setup.

1. For the fittings just keep an eye on their rating. Push fittings in particular can be troublesome if they’re not rated for 200psi plus. I use Parker Legris but there’s plenty of options out there. Go full metal ones if you can afford to.

2. Personally I think yes… definitely get a regulator. Take a look at the Norgren - I’ve had trouble free performance from mine and there’s quite a few other users of them on the forum here as well. The K3 sounds much more train like at 110psi than at 200. The horn internals will last longer as well. Mind you, with a 5 gallon tank the horns are never exposed for long at very high pressures anyway so it’s not a massive risk. I run both a regulated and pure 200 line to the horns so I can choose.

3. Check valves will come with the compressor.

4. If you intend running air tools then definitely get the regulator. You may also want to consider getting a larger tank (e.g. 10 gal).

Thank you OBD.
I really like your set-up. I really won’t be using air tools much at all but would like to have some cfm if I needed to do a small amount of work. I just do not want to have to upgrade the system in the future due to small lines and pressure. Will the 480c’s handle a 10 gallon tank? Do you know of a larger tank rated for 200psi off hand?

Max tank size for a single 480 is 5 gallon if you want to stay within warranty. Twin 480’s will therefore do 10 no worries.

I was planning on runnig twins. So Im gonna try and locate a bigger tank that will be rated for 200psi. and still fitt where I want to mount it. Next option is two 5 gallon tanks I guess.

Which 5 gallon tank were you looking at?
You can always buy an ASTM tank but they’re pricey.

I was looking at HB’s 5 gallon tank. I like the diminsions of it so far and the price is nice.

Welcome to the forum! I agree with DBO, the horns will sound better with a maximum of 125 PSI and a high flow regulator on the tank output can provide that consistantly as long as the pressure in the tank is higher.

Finally got around to finishing up my install. Thank you for all the help on the setup guys. I went with everything on the list and the norgren regulator. I havent held the horns on long yet. But i do love just hitting the dump at gas stations and stop lights. I really want to play with the air pressure on the horns to get them right. I set them up at 140 psi and I’m going to drop them them down to 110-120 and see what they do. My girlfriend was pissed when I bumped the switch in the shop for i forgot the valve to the horns was open. I will get some pics up soon.

Just wanted to say thanks again I am really happy with this setup.

Great news. Sounds like a nice rig now :slight_smile: You’ll be surprised how little difference there is between blowing them at 110 vs. 140 - certainly worth conserving the air on a 5 gal system.

Enjoy.

So over the weekend I adjusted the air pressure down to 110 psi and the horns sound smooth. Still ungodly loud but nice. The fun part about this system as I stated earlier is the blowdown is great for when people walk up or are walking up to the truck.

Can someone kindly post a link to the Norgren regulator please?

http://cdn.norgren.com/pdf/R73G_R_DS_5-28-15.pdf