Yet another new guy!

Hey guys. Another new guy here out of Kentucky. Pretty new to air horns…but not so new to the railroad scene (being a 4th generation railroad industry worker in my family)

I’ve been looking around for a good while now. Those United Pacific kits from Air Horns Of Texas are really sticking out to me!
From a bunch of reading, I’m learning quite a bit and the forum members seem to be very helpful. Any advice for a new guy will be taken with open ears!

Welcome to the forums.

I like the tone of those horns. Plus, there are several people who have made them louder by changing out the airline & valve to 1/2".

This may be a really dumb question but saw the inlet to the horn is 3/8. Then it is upgraded to 1/2" line. The inlet is still only flowing 3/8" so how exactly does it get any louder?

Also, I wouldn’t really want to run an electric valve. Would you suggest a lanyard or a ball valve to make “rolling into” the air easier?

If your horn is a airchime all of the bottom ports should be half inch but it will be louder because it has more volume going from a big to small line is like an increase in pressure but small to small there is no difference

1/2" OD airline is 3/8" ID.
The port on the horn is 3/8" NPT. 3/8" schedule 40 pipe is .675" OD x .493" ID. A fitting will be somewhat less, but you can see they are not a mismatch.

There is a thread around here with several testimonials in it pertaining to the 1/2" airline.

From what I’ve heard, the lanyard valves are restrictive. Nothing wrong with a ball valve. These horns sound nearly authentic with a manual valve IMO.

Welcome to the forum. I can’t add anything.

Welcome to the forums!