Changed my compressor setup (sortof)

Some of you probably remember my old mailbox with suck/blow cooling.

It served its purpose well, but I got sick of people constantly asking why I had a mailbox on the roof :rolleyes:

So I decided replace it with a regular toolbox :o

Drilled it with a bunch of holes…

Added a woodbase and intake tunnel.

Mounted the compressor, installed a new Air Zenith pressure switch, wired everything up and bench tested it.

And here’s what she looks like all put together :slight_smile:

With the box closed and both fans running, I can fill both tanks from 0-150+psi (it actually stops @ 154-155psi) and the head stays cool enough to touch :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, it’s kinda hard to see in the pix, but I yanked the regular drainvalves as they were a pita to get to and plumbed a pair of extensions with easy to reach ball valves :cool:

Thats an awesome setup!

When you have your moonroof open tho, that has to be one hell of a hurt on the ears!

So why do you have a tool box on your roof rack?

Just kidding! Actually that is an incredibly clean setup you came up with.

What do you coat your tanks with? Almost looks like a bedliner coating or possibly an undercoating.

Again, really like you ingenuity.

nice and clean. :slight_smile:

what are those steel cables going from the rack to the hood for?

I did that once to a passenger that didn’t believe it was loud :wink:

He was like “why are you putting on the ear muffs?”

HONK!!!

“Holy $h!t!!”

The entire rack and tanks have been epoxy sealed an coated with bedliner :cool:

They’re Limbrisers…

When driving in the bush, they take brush and tree limbs over the windshield :cool:

Sir, you are such a professional. All the shrink wraping you took time to do, rubber grommets and all that. Genius !! Bravo! My only question, is how long does it take for you to fill both tanks i know you hardly ever run them close to zero when honking but I would like to know. Great install though man. My wife would kill me had I spent that kinda time and effort on my install. lol

Nice camera too. I see your camera bag over there in the corner. lol

I agree, very nice setup!

Thanx guys :slight_smile:

The fill time from 110-150’ish used to take about 2 minutes running (about 2:30 engine off) using the ViAir switch/relay combo, but now with the AirZenith pressure switch, it takes about 2:30 running (about 3 minutes engine off)

Main reason being the AZ switch doesn’t stop early like the ViAir switch and that last few psi are always the hardest to fill, but it’s more than adequate for my use and the old 450c will pump all day long for air tools as long as it’s kept cool :cool:

Unbelievable! That is an amazing install. 1st class.

Too bad you aren’t closer, I’d have you install the K3 on my truck. :wink:

Very clean work. 100% professional.

Wow. Im still baffles at how you fill those huge tanks with One compressor, and here I am with TWO 480Cs and a small tank. I hope my radiator fan is pulling enough cool air through to keep mine cool. It takes about 1:30 to fill from 165-210. I guess thats alright. it used to stop at 208 but I guess there is a little rust in the pressure switch.

Absolutely stunning install! Keep up the great work

That looks perfect sitting up there.

I forgot how useful the horns are. I was out in the NY city last sat. Usually the cabbies never outrun me. But for the few who are brave they get a good helping of horn.

The look on there face is priceless when they realize they couldnt push me out of there way when I have a bigger horn then them.

Your setup is perfect for out there.

OMG. the memories of my visits to NYC are always sparked when I hear someone blowing through an intersection like theyre crazy. I cant imagine replacing that with train horns. The horror. Who knows, that could be the OTHER nreason why the pedestrians obey the crosswalk signals, that and the fact that you’ll be run down. Here, they just walk out in front of you. Thats so lame.

WOW. that looks really nice.
i agree with everyone else
looks like all your hard work on it paid off!

Yeah as above!!! Tidy install… I like!!!:smiley:

It dont get no cleaner than that for being OUT in the OPEN. I love it. HORN ON!!

im doing something similar on my cherokee in the spring. i like the tool box plan also. where did you get those 12v fans? are they just computer fans or something like that? also how did you plumb the airline from the k3 to the tanks?