Compressors worth rebuilding?

Well, I haven’t taken my 400c apart, but it’s making a grinding noise, and not starting right away.

I bought a 444 and 400. Ran the 444 for close to a year, and it’s check was passing, causing leak down. Changed it out for the 400c, planned to install swagelok checks. Well the 400c only a month or so of run time, but a year old, is grinding. Are these units worth a major repair?

Or do I try something different like an ob2?

This is probably tough, but can you tell where the grinding is coming from (i.e. motor or piston)? Also, is it still making the required pressure? If it is then piston assembly is probably fine and in which case it could just be a broken bearing which is cheap to replace unless shaft or casing is worn as a result.

The option on whether to service it is up to your own skills, tools etc. They’re not very complex devices really. If you have the gear to take them apart you can probably diagnose what’s broken and potentially fix it. I don’t think it’s worth sending in for repair. If it was me, I’d have a look before chucking it in the bin.

OB2 is in a different league to a 400. If you have the money spare to get one… then why not ;).

I’ll pull it apart tomorrow. I can go either way, was just wondering if it was worth repairing. I’ll see if it makes pressure after I tear it down. As soon as I started grinding, I turned it off.

Open it up anyways if you’re gonna chuck it and post some pics of the internals. I’m sure DBO can steer you right. Plus I’d like to learn and watch

^^^I agree. At least use the experience to learn.

Also - while you’re tearing into everything, maybe re-evaluate your system and how you use it. How many gallons does the compressor fill and did it ever get real hot? Nights out blasting are a lot different than a couple daily honks…

You may just tear it open and find a small easy repair, and then you could always keep it or sell it. I love taking things apart to see how they work. I usually discover an easy fix, but somehow I always end up with extra hardware after I put it back together, lol.

I’ll tear it down when wife gets back from girls lunch out. I don’t have nights out blasting. It’s literally 5 a week maybe. Yes the comp gets hot. Had it when it was sticking at 80/100psi and running too long.

I currently fill 5gal on the box of my truck. But now my urea tank is gone, and I still have the skid plate, I plan to put a 8gal there, then a 2 gal in box as a boost bottle.

I LOVE Taking things apart! :smiley: If I were you I’d take it apart and see if it can be fixed. if yes then you will have another working compressor. Also look on Youtube to see if there are instructional videos on how to take one apart. You could save yourself $$$. When if ever my York 210 goes out I will take that apart and fix it myself.

I have to agree with all these guys. If you can diagnose the problem(s), we have the replacement parts.

You can download a York 210 service manual from Climate Controls’ website or contact me and I’ll send it to you.

do you have a link I can download it from? Or do you want me to PM you?

Here’s the link - http://www.tccimfg.com/docs/2CylinderServiceManual.pdf

Well still havent gotten it torn apart. I think ill take it out tomorrow. Life got busy, then work. Gotta take the units right out to get my Gene out etc for service. Hoping I can get a new tank under the truck, and mount it down there.

Thinking ill mount it upside down off the frame rail, and that way no ice could build up in it. Swap checks with my 444C for now, get me blasting again. And look at dual setup at the same time(444/400), or the OB2

Well, finally got time to open it up late tonight. And its carnage. I found no evidence of ice, nor found any water inside etc. It was mounted upright, so it should have been in the case, or still ice (as its still well below zero here). I did find some metal pieces though…

You can see the metal fillings and pieces. Also the carnage

Motor end

Head (looks okay to me)

Some pitting on the cylinder, can easily feel it though mechanics gloves.

More of pitting, and can see where the crank hit the cylinder wall at bottom.

Just some rub from the piston

Piston

I think its safe to say this one is done. Id need crank, piston (id assume, though seems ok on edges. But its dark and I need better inspection), and a cylinder at minimum. Perhaps a hone of cylinder is possible, but i doubt it.

Pretty sad IMO. Only lasted a few months, and honestly a few hours run time at the most. My 444C saw way more run time, and only needed to be changed due to a check, and I thought Id try the faster 400C, just to see difference.

Yeah wow… that’s a pretty hard core failure. She’s snapped the whole piston rod so it must have got totally stuck in the bore pretty good somehow! Was it ever rebuilt before or was this actually a new compressor ? I’d be thinking along the lines of a badly cast piston - probably had a weak spot or hair line fracture in the main rod.

I don’t think you can just re-bore them since the pistons are one size fits all. AFAIK you could get a whole new piston bore though. You’re best to check with Viair or HB to see if you can get the parts.

Probably not worth the money or hassle to rebuild, but I’d send Viair the pics anyway to see what they have to say about it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Holy smokes.

Is there a reason you didn’t send it in for warranty since you only had it a couple months? It might still be worth a try…

I have had it a year. I got a 400C, and 444C last Jan. I used the 444C till not to long ago, as the check on the 444C failed and was constantly cycling. So I just swapped in the 400C, to see the speed difference.

This was a brand new comp.

I feel your pain. I’m reeeeal good at buying parts. Then they sit there patiently waiting to be installed while the warranty lapses. pffft.

It’s no big deal. I push it through my company, but I’ll see how it works out. I’m trying to find twin stack tanks, that’s tough without buying a comp. I’d like to go with a 2-3 gal twin stack in box, then 7 under truck. Trying to free up more room for tools in the truck…rolling down the highway at 10K isn’t heavy enough lol.

Wow!

We do have those rods in stock. :slight_smile: