Guess what the cat dragged in!

Today i bought myself, for 75 bucks, a used 60 gal tank for bigger horn runbys. All i really know is it used to be a Craftsman compressor but now its just a tank, and that it was made in 1994. I think the max psi is 150 too. So, I took a picture of the plaque on the side and was wondering if you guys could tell me the specifics about this thing. I cleaned it out and some chunks of rust came out. But in a scale of 1 to 10 on rust… i would give it a 3 or 4

Thats gonna take some filling!!!:eek:

yah i know. Iv been planning to make a compressor. Like just a small gas motor and a pump bolted to a plate on wheels. So when I need to refill i can use that.

if only they made a gas powered Oasis :wink: cause I also have a york 210 laying around that could be used for that.

Don’t you have one of those under the hood of your car?:wink:
With those twin OB2’s plus your York210 EDC you should have enough grunt to fill that baby … I would’ve thunk.

Man that’s a serious amount of air though - you know what has to come next… a Leslie RS5T :smiley:

Nice find! I’ve been looking for something similar.

Hahaha you always has something witty to say LOL.

da da da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamm m mmmumumumu!!! 60 Gallons Holy hell! You are definitely going to have some serious Honk time there! I bet the York 210 is gonna fill that baby right up! :wink:

Yes i would assume the max pressure is 150. That sure will give you lots of honking time!!

Posted using Tapatalk

I want to hydro test this tank. So E2E i think you’ll know more about this. I fill it with water then add air to a certain PSI. If the working pressure is 150 do I test to 200? and what do I look for? If it doesnt go ka-boom i assume its fine…

The corresponding Wkipedia article seems to suggest testing to around 150% of the rating… so fill her up to 225 psi and watch from outside the 30 mile blast radius :smiley:

awesome , where you going to put that thing will fit in the back your truck ?

in that case i think ill test it in my neighbors yard while i look over the

And wait for the

Yeah, I think I got mine up to 300 while planning 200 WP.

The 1.5x WP sounds pretty comfortable as long as it’s a good bit over your safety valve rating.

If you’re using air over water, keep the air portion to a minimum.

If i take out the 2 rows of seats in the back i have about 80in. by 64in. of room. Mind you this is the Tahoe. So for comparison it would be like having a Silverado with a standerd box or a F150 with a 6-1/2’ box. If i really wanted to i could fit another 60 gallon in the back.

So 225psi it is. But how do I get it to 225 because i dont have a compressor that can got that high…

I didn’t use any air - all water. The only way I came up with was building a frame with a plunger to force water into the tank. Basically a hydraulic cylinder or ram as some people call it. In fact I snooped around at work, on craiglist, and ebay for a junk cylinder before I made mine.

Your cylinder would need more volume than mine. I forced the full amount of stroke/water into my tank and just reached 300psi. There were probably a couple small air bubbles in there that were collapsing and the tank slightly expanding.

Would you by any chance still happen to have that test pump you made? :smiley:

I do, but you’re going to need something bigger - my test cylinder is only 1" diameter x 8" stroke.
The tank is only 14 gallons and heavy walled for it’s size. It still expanded enough to run out of stroke.
To give you an idea, I could push the cylinder by hand about half way in. It really gained the last 50-75 psi in about the last inch of stroke.

agh i dont have the time to make something. I know i can rent a gas powered hydrostatic pump for 80 bucks. or maybe ill find a local compressor shop or other business that can test it.

^^^^^ looool