Horn blasters 540 XL kit arrived

Good morning all,

New to the forum hear. Glad to be a part if it. Been trying to check at the other posts but couldn’t really find what I was looking for. So my kit arrived yesterday and double checked to make sure I got all of my components. I did have a questions about the wiring on the pressure switch.

4 wires:
Blue fused IGN wire
RED fused 12v DC wire
White Connect to compressor 1
Black goes to ground

I plan to keep my train horn and compressor buttons separate and want to be able to toggle them on and off as I please. My question is where do these wires go on the relay?

87 is the lead from the train horn/compressor
85 is ground for relay
30 is fused 12v DC 10-12 awg wire
86 goes to my toggle switch I think

Now both of my switches have 5 pins which have LED’s on them both top and bottom and each LED has its own ground thus so many pins. 2 grounds, 1 for dimmer/dash lighting, 1 IGN source fused, and the last one going to post 86 on the replay I believe. I’m just confused on where the pressure switch wires go and if its possible to run this setup.

I putting this on my 06 Nissan Titan LE

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Welcome to the forum. I’m not adept at installs but the rest of these guys can help.

Welcome.

The pressure switch has a relay built in. Just connect the wires as they’re labeled. The pressure switch will take care of turning the compressor on/off. If you want a master kill switch for the compressor, cut into the blue ignition wire and install a toggle switch.

Are you trying to use your steering wheel as the horn button? If not, just run a wire from a +12v source to a momentary push button. Then run a wire from the button’s other tab to your solenoid valve & ground the other wire of the solenoid.

You really don’t need any other relays.

First thing you have to remember is that the blue pressure switch which HB sells with the Shocker kits is actually a pressure switch and a relay combined.

Internally they basically something like this:

They work like this:

• When the air pressure switch closes (due to low pressure in the tank), the power that is flowing through the trigger wire can now conduct through the relay coil.
  • This closes the circuit for 12V power to flow to the compressor.

So that means you don’t have to run another relay simply to switch the compressor on and off. You just have to place a switch (which is also supplied as I believe) inline with the blue trigger wire.

Switching the horns is a different matter. Basically you’ll have to toggle the power going to the air solenoid. Factors that come into play here are whether you have a negative or positive switched vehicle circuit. You can also run a simple toggle or connect things through a relay. Here’s a couple of diagrams to show those options:

The switch you describe sounds like any other back-lit toggle or momentary switch. Have a look at this post, which should provide some help:
https://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=6532&highlight=microswitch

Welcome to the forum, and keep asking questions if you’re still having issues.

No I don’t plan on using my steering wheel. My stock horn is currently having issues. I know what the culprit is, its just gonna cost more $$$ at the moment.

So if it has a built in relay then I don’t need a relay then. I was told I needed 1 for the train horn and 1 for the compressor. What I want is 2 separate toggles: 1 for the train horn and 1 for the compressor if possible. Unless you can think of an easier way to make this work. I still got time since I still need to mount the horns before proceeding with the wiring.

No you don’t need another relay for the compressor if you have the all-in-one HB switch.

Keep in mind that the relay is just another switch. They are useful if you want to electronically switch a high current load using a low current signal.

If all you want to do is trigger the horns with a button, then just use the button as the switch. Using a relay just means you’re using a switch and then a switch - double up, no point unless you have a sensitive circuit and want the relay to act like a gate, as shown in my diagram above (either one line or the other).

Below are some pics of the HB pressure switch, my 2 switches, pressure value, and a wiring diagram of the pins on my switches.

So it sounds like I’ll only use 1 of my switches now. I just need to know where the Blue IGN wire from the pressure switch is going to be connected to? Does that go to Pin 3 on my switch?

Pins 6 and 7 are both for my grounds both upper and lower LED’s
Pin 8 I think goes to my dash lights/parking lights
Pin 2 is my IGN fused source
Pin 3 blue wire from HB Pressure Switch?

Also note the pressure value has 2 wires. Its not labeled so which one is ground and which one goes to 12v fused source? Once I figure this out I think I’ll understand it better.

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/haynboi96743/slideshow/Train%20Horn%20Components

Yes. Connect the blue to pin 3 and 2 to 12v fused.

Also note the pressure value has 2 wires. Its not labeled so which one is ground and which one goes to 12v fused source? Once I figure this out I think I’ll understand it better.

The solenoid just needs 12v and a ground - it doesn’t matter which way around since it’s just a coil that pushes open an air valve. You need to line a momentary switch into either of those wires for your horns to sound when you press the button.

So Pin 2 goes to my POS battery that’s fused and not IGN source like a cigarette lighter?

Reading your last quote it says to add a switch into one of those wires. So does that mean I need 2 switches and if so where does it connect to?

Thanks

It doesn’t really matter. It just needs 12v+. Either circuit carries power, they just turn on under different key positions in the ignition lock.

Reading your last quote it says to add a switch into one of those wires. So does that mean I need 2 switches and if so where does it connect to?

Thanks

If you connect power and ground to the air solenoid it will open and sound the horns - so you need to have a switch there. Normally the switch you’d use is your steering wheel horn button, but you can also use a normal momentary switch.

If I run it straight to the 12V+ source and NOT an IGN source will the horn still sound when the truck is off?

So from the sounds of it I do need 2 toggle switches correct? 1 that’s connected (Pin 3 on switch #1) to the BLUE lead from the HB Pressure Switch and the other that’s connected to the Air Solenoid (Pin 3 on switch 2) to open and sound the horns correct? Then would that mean Pin 2 on switch 2 goes to the 12v+ source? Also if I connect either of these switches to 12v+ or IGN source should the 2 be the same? If I had one going to the 12v+ and the other to IGN it would just mean that the IGN one would only work with the turn of the key right?

Just to backtrack a second here - we’re talking about the power source going to the blue wire on the pressure switch. The path it takes is essentially, 12v+ then into your switch (pin 2), out of the switch (pin 3) and then to the blue wire on the HB pr/sw/relay. I think where you’re getting confused is that this arrangement is ONLY to turn the compressor circuit on and off. It has no impact on ‘blowing’ the horns (which is done through the solenoid; as long as there’s air in the tank of course).

So from the sounds of it I do need 2 toggle switches correct?

You do need two switches - one for the horn, one for the compressor. I would think a momentary (push button) is better than a toggle switch for the horn though.

1 that’s connected (Pin 3 on switch #1) to the BLUE lead from the HB Pressure Switch and the other that’s connected to the Air Solenoid (Pin 3 on switch 2) to open and sound the horns correct?

Correct

Then would that mean Pin 2 on switch 2 goes to the 12v+ source?

Yes

Also if I connect either of these switches to 12v+ or IGN source should the 2 be the same? If I had one going to the 12v+ and the other to IGN it would just mean that the IGN one would only work with the turn of the key right?

Yes.

I would have the compressor switch (switch 1,pin 2 in your case) wired to a Accessory or Ignition 12v+. That means the compressor can’t come on unless you have the key in the lock and the car turned on to some degree.

For the horn, well … that’s entirely up to you. If you want to be able to blow the horn regardless of whether you have the key in the car, just connect to the battery 12V+

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I think I got it now. I pre planned the setup before I got my kit not knowing the HB’s kit came with a Pressure Sensor that had a built in relay. Now it makes more sense. I just needed clarification on where to hook up what wire to what pin on the toggles. The kit comes with a simple toggle so I wanted the toggles to look somewhat stock I decided to go that route thus the solenoid toggle not being momentary. I also have it in my possession. Plus my stock horn is having issues which will cost like $250 for the part w/shipping. Gonna worry about that one later once I get the train horn up and running. I just need to get everything mounted now. I’ll keep you guys all posted on my progress.

hey guys quick question. where can I get more airline? Its for the smaller air line that comes from the 4 horns. I’m planning on mounting 2 horns on each side of the frame just below the crew cab doors. No way I got enough air line unless I use more of the bigger airline but I think I’ll still be short. Does the airline need to come from horn blasters or maybe I can get it locally like Lowes or Home Depot? Also what would be the exact dimensions. Thanks again

The small air lines going to the shockers are 5/16".

yes thats the one. cause the others are 1/2" correct?

Does Home Depot or Lowes carry it? Or do I need to go to a big rig place

Yup.

Does Home Depot or Lowes carry it? Or do I need to go to a big rig place

Sorry… can’t help you with that one. I’m not a local. I’m sure if you ring around you’ll find some though - it’s not hard to source. Try you local truck/vehicle spare parts shops, hardware etc. If you can’t find any, buy online or through HB.

Most hardware stores should have fittings but I’m not sure about DOT air brake tubing. The fittings and tubing only need to be slightly larger than the port on the horns. Try searching online.

For Pin 2 on both switches, do I use a heavy gauge wire like 10-12 fused of course or can i just use 18-22? I know the HB kit came with 10 gauge that I can use if I run it straight to the 12v+ battery. Since I plan to use the 2 switches and tap into an Accessory/IGN source on Pin 2 can I get away with just using 18 gauge or should I use 10-12?

thanks again