Here are a ton of pics of my K5LA restoration and installation.
The horn, 12 gal tank, dual ViAir 444Cs, and 1/2" solenoid drain valve were all run with 1/2" OD DOT air line and 12 awg and 14 awg wire into my '08 Ford F-250. Currently I have the horn connected to a 1/2" solenoid valve which is connected to my stock horn via toggle switch. Later I will be installing my manual train horn valve and digital air gauge. I will update pics as I get to it.
A few tips I’d like to share:
Use blue thread locker on all bolts. Use it on the bolts that attach the back caps and the bolts that attach the horn to your vehicle. This will help to keep the threads tight and keep them from backing out while you are bouncing down the road.
Use security bolts to attach your horn to your truck to discourage anyone from trying to simply unbolt your horn from your ride.
Use Rector Seal 5 instead of Teflon tape to seal your fittings. I’ve used tape before and the RS5 does a better job of sealing the threads the first time. Just be sure to allow ample time for drying before applying pressure.
A big shout out is deserved for Garrett and Tiernan of Hornblasters for helping me piece together what was needed to complete my dream train horn setup! Thank you both!
An even BIGGER shout out goes to you guys here on the forum who have been more than willing to share your knowledge and expertise! Thanks a ton guys!!
My shipment of tank, dual 444Cs, valve and fittings, air line, digital air gauge, and t-shirts were all ordered from HornBlasters.
The K5LA was purchased through eBay. It came with about 15’ of air line, another 1/2" solenoid valve, SS bolts for the back caps, and SS security bolts for attaching the horn to my truck.
I stripped the back cap of one of the horns here.
I used Napa spray paint stripper and it worked great. I don’t believe this horn had been primed previously.
Horns are stripped, taped, and ready for priming. They came so clean I almost left the horn raw and skipped the painting. Here you can see that I covered the opening to the inside of the trumpet with tape. After painting I wished that I had cut an opening so that I could paint the back of the insides easier. Live and learn I guess.
Primed using Dupli-Color® Professional Self-Etching Primer.
The horns were then painted with gloss black and school bus yellow Dupli-Color® Professional Acrylic Enamel.
Bolted straight to the frame which used to hold the spare tire. I used SS security bolts to make it more difficult for any idiot who thinks they can get away with trying to steal it.
1/2" solenoid valve wired into the stock horn. Later a manual valve line will be added also for better control of honking when wanted.
12 gal tank and dual 444Cs mounted to plywood with rubber pads underneath to keep it from sliding. The bottom port has a 1/2" solenoid valve attached for releasing moisture.
Attached to rear ports: 1/2" air line run to valve and horns, Air Zenith digital air pressure receiver, (in the middle you can see the 1/2" solenoid moisture release valve which is mounted to the bottom port), 165 - 200 PSI pressure switch, 235 PSI safety pressure valve. The electrical still needs to be buttoned up. Once it is I’ll update the pic.