K5LA vs Conductors 4 horn Shocker

So I sold my Shocker set to Bixby1980 and got my K5LA hooked up. I posted on here before that I did not think it was as loud as I thought it would be. I think its pretty loud and seems to carry farther than my previous set up. I hit my horn near a coworker when he was out biking and he told me that he did not think it was as loud as the Shocker set. I thought to myself “wtf??” I got over $1500 invested in this set up and now I am really doubting my purchase. At first I was not impressed, but then it grew on me as I had others in my truck blow the horn while I was outside the vehicle, now that he tells me this, I am beginning to doubt it all over again. I know the shocker setup was a deeper bass tone whereas the K5LA is loud and higher pitched. I got a 150 psi pressure regulator on my setup since I dont want to blow them at 200 psi. I got 3/4" ID airline going into 1/2" npt fittings for a smooth transition. The K5LA has been rebuilt by a reputable builder and tested and I have everything hooked up right. I dont know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Somethings wrong…compared to my friend shocker set, my K3 is an easy twice as loud. And the K5 should be just as loud if not louder. Maybe your horns have an “over the road” restricter since you say they were rebuilt?:confused:

They dont have a restrictor and they are actual CSX horns, and I have seen the removable restictor in an Over The Road Nathan. I am not saying that they are not loud, because they are, but I am having people tell me that it is not as loud to them as I think it should be. I do know that they carry alot farther than the shocker. We sat side by side and Bixby hit his horn and we did not hear an echo, then we hit my horn and we could hear it echo. So I know it dedinately carries further. Maybe I should video tape him and I side by side for comparison for all you to hear.

Hmm…are they pointed the same way as the shockers were? Also, is your selinoid/line far from the tank? Longer the line the less air likes to move:confused:

200psi really isn’t bad on them either…especially because the K5’s could use the extra flow

if u could get a video of the horn comparison…
and maybe get some pics of all of ur connections for ur horns

My solenoid is like 3 feet from the horns, the same as it was for the conductors set and there is no delay when I push the button. The horns are facing forward just as the shockers were. I have posted tons of pics on my install, here is a pic of the solenoid, same place I had the one going to my shocker set.

The only connections that I have is the one from the tank to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the port on the K5LA. You can see these in the pics.

200psi really isn’t bad on them either…especially because the K5’s could use the extra flow

I have had several people from other forums not to run 200 psi into them. This is why I went with the 150 psi pressure regulator. Maybe I should take the pressure regulator off and run them at 200 psi, its not like they will get 200 psi all the time, because the tank runs down to 165 before the compressor kick in. I would only be pushing 200 psi for a blast or two and then it would be proportional to tank volume. Now, regardless of what my tank pressure is above 150 psi, with the regulator only allows 150 psi to pass to the horns.

Bixby1980 and I are going to do a comparison test this evening and try to post videos of them for you feedback.

I wonder if maybe the regulators flow has anything to do with this…?

I wonder if maybe the regulators flow has anything to do with this…?

Actually I was thinking that they were not as loud as I thought they should be prior to me installing this. After I installed this, bixby and I tested it and it seemed to be just as loud as he and i could not tell a difference, but we knew that they were only getting 150 psi constant due to regulator. I would always drain my tank down some before I would blast them as not to hit them at 200 psi. I was told they have a better tone at 150 psi and easier on the diaphrams.

Dont get me wonrg, they are loud, but I was expecting more, mayeb its just me, but then when I heard my coworker say they werent as loud, my mind got to thinking again…lol…It must be my OCD playing a role…lol

Bixby1980 and I have digital cameras with sound asn we will both tkae video and sound tests this evening. We will put them into photobucket and let you all hear, Maybe its just me…:confused:

buck , I’ll tell you where you problem lies because my k3HA had the same problem.with mine it was restricted going thru the mini regulator/filter,once I removed it, it was like twice as loud. simply get you a inline splice, remove the 2 ends from that regulator and try it again.bet you then hear what you hoped to hear" PURE UNADULTERATED LOUDNESS" ! LOL :smiley:

One more thing I forgot to mention granted you’ll be back @ 200psi but that can be corrected by getting a 150psi switch.:smiley:

buck , I’ll tell you where you problem lies because my k3HA had the same problem.with mine it was restricted going thru the mini regulator/filter,once I removed it, it was like twice as loud. simply get you a inline splice, remove the 2 ends from that regulator and try it again.bet you then hear what you hoped to hear" PURE UNADULTERATED LOUDNESS" ! LOL

I dont quite follow you. Here is the pressure regulator I installed right off the port on my tank and into a hose barb fitting directly to my air hose. Like I said I was thinking all of this “not very loud” BEFORE I put the 150 psi regulator into my system.

buck can’t tell the size of the inlet and outlet ports on the regulator,looks like 1/4"npt if so thats your problem exactly. granted you have the pressure @ 150 but it restricts the volume of air and thats the problem with the less than full powered blast. get a inline splice connect the two hoses that you take off that regulator together with that splice,thus eliminating the regulator and I will guarantee you full volume from that big k5 . trust me.
john:D

again you will then be back to your original 200 psi ,but you can get a 150psi switch and remedy that situation. :cool:

buck can’t tell the size of the inlet and outlet ports on the regulator,looks like 1/4"npt if so thats your problem exactly. granted you have the pressure @ 150 but it restricts the volume of air and thats the problem with the less than full powered blast. get a inline splice connect the two hoses that you take off that regulator together with that splice,thus eliminating the regulator and I will guarantee you full volume from that big k5 . trust me.
john

again you will then be back to your original 200 psi ,but you can get a 150psi switch and remedy that situation.

The ports on the regulator are indeed 1/2" npt. The side ports are prob 1/4" npt which have plugs in them, this is to screw in a guage which I do not need. I thought about what you were saying, but it should not matter with being 1/2" npt ports, the same as on the tank. And besides, I was thinking it was not as loud as it should be even before I put the regulator on the system.

I did this so that no matter what the pressure in my tank was, I would be putting 150 psi into the horns with every push of the button, until the pressure in the tank dropped below 150 psi. I figured if I left 200 psi in the tank I could blow more and use the air more efficiently this way instead of capping the tank off at 150 psi.

Here are the specs on the regulator:

Item Pneumatic Regulator
Type Modular
NPT (In.) 1/2
Max. Flow (CFM) 60
Max. Pressure (PSI) 300
Max. Temp. (F) 175
Adjustment Range (PSI) 5 to 150
Adjustment Knob Nonrising Knob
Gauge Port Full Flow
Valve Design Balanced, For Accurate Pressure Control
Height (In.) 5.34
Width (In.) 2.68
General Purpose Regulators and Accessories
Balanced valve design for accurate pressure control.
Pull-to-adjust knob. Two full-flow gauge ports. T-handle adjustment is optional. Manifold regulators provide multiple pressures from a common inlet.
All units 300 max. psi, except No. 4ZM13 (max. 250 psi), Nos. 4ZM05 and 4ZM06 (max. 400 psi), and No. 4ZM12 (max. 450 psi)
Max. temp. 150 DegreeF on Miniature and Compact units, 175 DegreeF on Intermediate, Standard and Heavy Duty regulators
All units have a nonrising knob adjustment except No. 1WH33
Adjustment range 5-125 psig, except No. 1WH33 is preset at 30 psi
There are currently no notes or restrictions for this item.

buck , at this point you can keep throwing out specs and whining about the volume and nothing changes or spend a dollar get a 1/2" splice and at least try what i suggested. doesn’t make a flip to me if you get full volume or not but when I did exactly that mine came to life. balls in your court pal,your on your own.:smiley:

buck , at this point you can keep throwing out specs and whining about the volume and nothing changes or spend a dollar get a 1/2" splice and at least try what i suggested. doesn’t make a flip to me if you get full volume or not but when I did exactly that mine came to life. balls in your court pal,your on your own

I did exactly what you are saying right before I added the pressure regulator. I had the K5LA hooked directly to my tank at 200 psi.(165/200 psi pressure switch) I know what you are saying, but this puts me back to where I was the day of my install. I did not feel as though the loudness and shock value was what it should be with the same setup that you are telling me to do (direct hook up fro the tank). I have since added the 150 psi pressure regulator to regulate a constant 150 psi flow. I did not want to damage my horns by pushing the 200 psi. I know the sound is not what it was without the regulator since I am restricting the flow. I know the K5LA should blow and blow LOUD at 150 psi. A train does not quite use 150 psi or so I have heard.

Bixby1980 and I will do a sound comparison test tonite and lets see what you all think. We will try to post videos and sounds today.

ok buck great . now get a 150 psi switch and you should be golden.:smiley:

what he is getting at is yes the regulator will put it at 150 psi but there may be to little of CFM flow through the regulator it will only let so much air through at a time if your valve lets more air through than your reegulator then your not going to get a constane 150 psi to the horns

Eliminate the regualtor, or just keep the regulator for the “lower PSI” stuff, like tools and air for your tires. I bet that isn’s allowing the full CFM through it to your horns.

thank you paul .seems the jury is growing.:smiley: