Need help planning horn while waiting for parts to arrive...

Yeah, he’s the redheaded one!

that movie is freakin awesome

Corsican brothers with Cheech and Chong.

another thread that’s taken a weird turn…:smiley:

Ok, so here is what I have so far…

(1) Nathan K5LA horn
(2) Viair 480c compressors
(2) relays for compressors
(1) 1/4" 165 to 200 psi pressure switch
(1) 12 gallon firestone tank with six 1/2" and one 1/4" npt
(1) upfitter switches for dash to switch the solenoid

Here are the parts that I still need…

(1) 1/4" draincock for bottom of tank
(2) 1/2" to 3/8" reducers for inlet hoses from compressors
(1) solenoid switch to blow horn
(1) 1/2" to 1/4" reducer for pressure switch
hoses
wires

Here are my questions…

1. Am I forgetting anything?
  2. What size hoses should I go with? 1/2"?
  3. What gauge wiring should I use?
  4. I have 0 gauge power wire running from my battery to a distribution block behind my rear seat, powering a 1000 watt Alpine amplifier. Should I just run the power wire for the compressors off this distribution block?

Anyone? Man, this forum has died!

From what I can tell about your system, the biggest restriction to your air flow is the 1/2" to 3/8" reducers. A 1/2" air line, between compressor & tank, won’t improve that flow so base your decision on the cost between 3/8" and 1/2" air line.

The rule of thumb dealing with DC power is, the longer the wire the bigger the power loss. To know if your power distribution can handle it, you need to figure the overall current draw of your sound system and compressor as well as the distance from your power source, . The wire gauge of the compressor also depends on its current draw and the distance of the compressor from your distribution block. If you or a friend can figure this out it could save you some money by getting a wire size suitable for the system.

Thanks Dan. The compressors each have a 3/8" leader hose, so I will have to adapt those to the 1/2" NPT fittings on the tank. Maybe “reducer” isn’t the correct term since the air will actually be going through a 3/8" hose into a 1/2" opening in the tank.

Then stick with the 3/8" leader hose unless your compressor has 1/2" ports. You still need the 1/2" to 3/8" bushing at the tank if you use the 3/8" leader hose.