Will this fit? (guesstimate shockers fitting)

I’m going to buy a manifold and individual PTC fittings from this guy.

[Edit]

I won’t need a bracket for each horn (thank god…saves me a hell of a lot of money) because I’m going to use hose clamps to tie each horn to the frame.

Does anyone know how big the diameter of the P3’s horns are? If it’s a lot bigger than the shockers I may not be able to mount it on my rail :D.

They aren’t much wider than the shockers.

Glad to hear it.

Man, I’m excited! New horns!!! :smiley:

Since the PTC fittings I’m putting on each horn is 3/8" airline, does that mean the hose I use to tie two tanks together should be 3/8" or 1/2"?

I’d use half inch to tie the tanks together. It really doesn’t matter though.

[b]Sorry for moving my photos. All Install photos are linked here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v603/marker227/2005%20Dodge%20Dakota%20SLT/Air%20Horns%20Install/[/b]

My shockers in the grill don’t fit :/…

Maybe I can mount the horns like this? Except the bottom half would be under the bumper and the top would be sticking out a few inches. I want to mount all the horns in a place where I can maximize the output of the sound. I I think I can squeeze the two shorter ones under the hood, but I was afraid it could muffle the sound.

I have no idea how to take my bumper off :/…

To take your bumper off. there are usually 2 nuts you need to take off. 1 in each wheel well. after you get those off, there are little plastic pop rivet things. don’t know the technical term, but you will probably have around 8-10 of those. after you get all those off, it should just wiggle off. with a little force.

Sounds easy enough.

Thanks!

I have 2 in my engine compartment and 2 behind the bumper cover itself and you can still hear it a couple of miles away.

just don’t mount the horns facing up. :wink:

Why not? If I mount it facing down the sound will be absorbed into the plastic thats right under the bumper… There’s like a giant plastic pan/tub looking thing that is the width of the bumper… Looking through the gap between the radiator and the bumper…You can’t see the ground. So the sound won’t be able to go to the ground.

It will still be loud. Mine is like that too and is still plenty loud. Mounting them facing up is never a good idea because trash and water can get inside and ruin them over time.

Should of known that. Doh!

How many inches should I leave the end of the bell to the floor? I may only be able to do about 3 inches clearance.

2 of my bells are touching the plastic piece lol

I think Im going to mount it in my bed.

I just realized it’s $150 approx to get the individual mounts for all the bells and manifold… I don’t have the extra cash.

I know it’s a train horn, but will a soft bed cover and having the tailgate up muffle the sound? Most likely I’ll mount it against or closest to the rear window facing out.

My other idea is… Has anyone used quick disconnects for a train horn?

I would like to be able to just disconnect it really fast and throw it in my back seat if I had to haul something big. Maybe instead of a quick disconnect I should just use a PTC?

By the way, Im going with 5 gallons total since I won’t be using my other frame rail. Hope that’s enough :D.

My brother has the K3LA unde a sioft bed cover with the tailgate up and I can still hear it for miles, granted it is louder with the tailgate down. If I were you I’d just use PTC fittings, just as easy and better IMO than QDs.

Well, I dont think you will have enough air my friend. I run a K3 off 5 gallons, and after a 3-4 blast, trust me, you will be running on empty and it’ll take your compressor 7-8 minutes to charge your tank. I have TWO 480C compressors. so I can fill from 0 - 200psi in about 4:30 minutes. PLUS you’re going to run shockers too? Good luck. I fit all my stuff up from though. The P3 shouldnt be as wide as a K so you should be able to fit everything up front, but Im not sure how much you will enjoy blowing when your compressor is running all the time. Check mine out.

Everything up front. I had reservations about my bed space as well.

Update:

My plans on how I’m going to mount all of my equipment has changed slightly.

First off, I purchased a Horn Air 240 kit. That comes with a single 2 gallon tank and a 400C compressor. What I plan on doing is adding a 2nd 2 gallon tank and (in the future) I’m going to purchase 1-2 more 2 gallon tanks. That will give me 6-8 gallons of air total for the P3 at 150 psi.

From what others are telling me 5 gallons is a lot for a P3 because of the way it conserves air (not sure how it does that). I figure 6-8 gallons would be plenty then.

The 2nd compressor I’ll be adding will be another 400C unless someone has a better idea for what model I should buy.

I checked my bumper and it looks like I’ll be mounting my shockers there facing downwards. The P3 will have to go in the bed (unfortunately) because of the space restrictions I have. I would of mounted each P3 bell individually, but I can’t shell out $150 for those special mounts. I guess the one positive thing about having the horn in the bed is that it’ll have a PTC fitting on it so I’ll be able to remove it and store it in the rear of my quad cab if I need to use the bed for something (which isn’t often).

Sounds good. Thats great if it conserves air. Make sure you let us know how it sounds once you get everything up and running. I want to go with a bigger tank, like 10gal. but I dond thave the room for it. I know Im too lazy to move things around when I need to throw something in the back. lol. I would rather sacrifice the spare tire for an air tank but then I think the lines would be too long of a run for front mounted horns.(I know you didnt ask for all that.lol) Good luck.

I am lazy as well, but I couldn’t give up my spare with my luck lol. That’s why Im going with a PTC fitting and im not bolting the P3 down. I’ll strap it to a medium size box that’s dead center in my bed. Haha I still can’t believe I might have 2 tanks on either rail.

Update:

Just got my kit today.

I’m already having problems mounting the tank. There’s just not enough room under my Dakota. I haven’t even tried locating a spot for the compressor… :confused: